USA

Feel free to talk about non programming issues here.
cogier
Site Admin

USA

Post by cogier »

I wonder if they will do anything this time regarding the US gun laws. They just don't seem to get it!
jornmo
Site Admin

Re: USA

Post by jornmo »

To me, the guns are really not the problem; the people are. There's plenty of weapons in Canada as well, but far less gun-violence. Norwegians also have quite a fair amount of weapons, but except from one really bad case in 2011, there's not much shooting. Perhaps the most liberal country on guns is Israel? But neither do they do mass shootings one one another. Don't get me wrong. I am not saying that banning machine-guns from being publicly available is a totally bad idea, just that I do not think it will alleviate the issue that much... Children growing up without fathers, broken families, being unloved and unwanted seems to be to be a much bigger cause... my two cents... don't shoot :lol:
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

I know other countries allow guns but I suspect they expect their users to pass some sort of proficiency test and/or health check. Also the amount and type of weapon and ammunition allowed is controlled. I could get a gun but there would be security, police and health checks and I would not be allowed a machine-gun. With rights come responsibilities.
To me, the guns are really not the problem; the people are.
Don't let the people have a gun and then the people wont be a problem! Countries with less guns have less gun deaths.

I heard Trump and he seems to be leaving it to God!

No shooting! :mrgreen:
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

jornmo wrote: Monday 2nd October 2017 3:36pm To me, the guns are really not the problem; the people are. There's plenty of weapons in Canada as well, but far less gun-violence...
Well, Canada is not great in the gun-deaths league tables. They have a similar number of guns per capita to European countries like France & Germany, and slightly less than Norway! I've spent quite a bit of time working in North America and I always think that Canadian people are more like Europeans than Americans.

Maybe we all need to follow the Japanese model: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38365729

Many Americans believe they can defend themselves (and their country if necessary) from the bad guys by having a collection of personal guns of their own, including automatic "combat" weapons. I doubt that this good-over-bad senario plays out very often in practice.

For the record, guns per 100 people:-
UK 6.6
Canada 30.8
Norway 31.3
USA 112.6
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

Some more stats:-
Gun deaths per 100,000

Japan 0.06
UK 0.23