You are welcome

Feel free to talk about non programming issues here.
jornmo
Site Admin

Re: You are welcome

Post by jornmo »

You are very welcome Casper!
jornmo
Site Admin

Post by jornmo »

I have had my fair share of frustration learning several little documented features through the years myself :) The plan is to use the front page for articles covering such things. You are welcome to write an article on the gb.settings component ;)
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Hi casperl,

Welcome to the site. I also started out with the not so trusty ZX81 with the wobbly 16k RAM pack and the 5 minutes it took to, sometimes, load your program from cassette! Like you I have had some issues due to the lack of Gambas documentation but find there is nothing else out there that can create programs with such ease.

If you are going to publish your programs have you discovered the Gambas Farm? In the IDE go to Tools>Software Farm and have a look at what others have created. You can publish your own there from the menu Project>Publish. You will find a few of mine there.

Have a look at our Snippets http://wordpress.gambas.one/2016/10/22/ ... lection-1/, if you have any to add let us know.

I look forward to seeing more posts from you.

[EDIT] Your post prompted me to create a small program to demonstrate 'settings'. It is on the Gambas Farm. It would have helped me if someone had done something like this.
casperl

Post by casperl »

Thank you for your kind words.

I have started with an Afrikaans translation for Gambas. Affrikaans originated from Dutch, and is the first language of over seven million people in South Africa and Namibia. Who knows, one day schools might use Gambas to teach programming in South African schools?

To keep track of the translation, there is a small site in Google Sites ( https://sites.google.com/site/gambasafrikaans/ ) and a Github page containing the present state of the translation. ( https://github.com/casperl/Gambas-Afrikaans ) I will of course utilise the conventional procedure in Gambas to submit the Afrikaans translations,

To the best of my knowledge there is no educational tool in computer science that is available in Afrikaans and Gambas fits the bill exactly. Since I will also translate the Wiki, this is an excelling project with which to become familiar with all the aspects of Gambas. I spent an hour (or two) writing a .csv import routine, only to later discover that there is an existing .csv import routine in Gambas. (Note to self, I really need to spend more time working through the wiki.)

The best way to learn anything has always been to explain it to another person, so lets hope a few tutorials, walk-throughs and sample code will result from this.

One suggestion is that you open a create a topic called `Gambas Advocacy` on the forum where links such as recent review of Gambas in a Linux magazine can be posted. That would even include any interesting Gambas programs one comes across on Github, Sourceforge or elsewhere on the Internet.

Have a great and productive day working in Gambas!