Install Custom Control - help needed

Ask about the individual Gambas components here.
bill-lancaster

Install Custom Control - help needed

Post by bill-lancaster »

This is my first attempt to install a custom component.
I've downloaded the vertical progress bar component (VerticalProgressBar-0.2.0.tar.bz2) from the farm and have run 'make installation package' but don't really know where to put the output. (Destination Directory)
Any help would be appreciated
shordi

Re: Install Custom Control - help needed

Post by shordi »

Is easy. I don't know what distro you are using, but all you have to do after create installation packages is to install the gambas3-moviga-verticalprogressbar_0.2.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb (if your are using a Debian Family distro or the packages extension of the distro you use) on you computer.

After that in Proyect -> Properties -> Components you can see the Moviga.verticalprogressbar component. Link it to your project and you can see it on form controls like another available gamba's control.

Regards
shordi

Post by shordi »

Ah.. after that you can delete all created packages. You can create them when you need it.
jornmo
Site Admin

Post by jornmo »

I am glad to hear my component is still usefull, even though I haven't touched it in years :)

You can of course also just copy over the class file, and use it directly in your project as any other class file. That is the very simplest way to go about it, but you lose the abillity to have it shared across several projects, and to update it in one go.
bill-lancaster

Post by bill-lancaster »

Thanks for the replies.
Sorry, should have said, Kubuntu 18.04;; Gambas 3.12.2.
The Installation Package process asks for 'destination directory', which I gave as the folder where gambas installation files are. Indeed, there is a collection of .deb files there (including gambas3-moviga-verticalprogressbar-gtk_0.2.0-0ubuntu1_all.db) but nothing shows in properties/components. I probably have the files in the wrong place.
shordi

Post by shordi »

bill-lancaster wrote: Monday 11th March 2019 8:02am Thanks for the replies.
Sorry, should have said, Kubuntu 18.04;; Gambas 3.12.2.
The Installation Package process asks for 'destination directory', which I gave as the folder where gambas installation files are. Indeed, there is a collection of .deb files there (including gambas3-moviga-verticalprogressbar-gtk_0.2.0-0ubuntu1_all.db) but nothing shows in properties/components. I probably have the files in the wrong place.
The packages that you create from gambas are the necessary ones to place them in a softare repository. It is not supposed that you have to keep them in any special place or even that you have to keep them in your machine. Of all those that are generated, you are only interested in the .deb that, once installed with gdebi, you can delete quietly.
I have an empty folder called "~/packages" and there I place the packages generated by gambas. I upload them to my repository and then delete them.
bill-lancaster

Post by bill-lancaster »

Thank you shodi, this is a completely new area for me, I now have the new control showing in properties/components.
Great!