PhotoEXIF

So you have written that new, must have program. Let us see it here.
cogier
Site Admin

PhotoEXIF

Post by cogier »

I am putting this out there to see if it is of interest and if anybody can find any bugs or just make a comment. The program is designed to display photos, their EXIF data and, if available, a map of the location the picture was taken.

The program includes 'exiftool' which makes it a bit big for the forum so you can find it here. (There are 2 compressed files but they contain the same program.)

stevedee

Re: PhotoEXIF

Post by stevedee »

Just downloaded for a quick look, will spend more time on it tomorrow.

Initial thoughts; it looks great!

I may have font issues as the EXIF data looks bold & larger than necessary. Also the status message is clipped and font looks a bit big.

I don't really understand the Auto/Man switch. I would have thought this should switch itself to Man when I hit one of the 90deg left/right buttons. Maybe a rotated image would be on its side when set to Man?

Not sure whether the 'mode' is of any use.

Would like to be able to set the default folder path (e.g. I might want it to open in {say} /home/steve/photography/2019).

Not sure about the 'close the program button'. I don't think its necessary, but if its needed it should probably be on extreme left or right, rather than in among the other buttons.

Note: I reserve the right to change my mind about any of the above, when I take a second look tomorrow.

Attachments
PhotExif.png
PhotExif.png (654.57 KiB) Viewed 10069 times
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Thanks and thanks again for the input. It is very infrequent that I get any feedback on programs I have written even though I include an email address. My most popular Gambas Farm program BarcodeCreator has had 1364 downloads to date and not a single comment.

Anyway onward.....
I may have font issues as the EXIF data looks bold & larger than necessary. Also the status message is clipped and font looks a bit big.
OK I wondered. I will change that after 'will spend more time on it tomorrow.'
I don't really understand the Auto/Man switch.
I think this is a good feature. This will automatically rotate a photo if necessary, or not if on Manual. Seems to work well, see grandchild that wont keep the fancy dress on until I take the picture :cry:
Not sure whether the 'mode' is of any use.
You are probably correct. I spent some time working out what 'Mode' was all about and adding my knowledge to the Gambas help files. So added this 'feature' as I understood it but it only shows its use on small pictures. I thinks I will remove it based on your comments.
Would like to be able to set the default folder path (e.g. I might want it to open in {say} /home/steve/photography/2019).
The last folder used on closing the program is saved and will be reopened on restarting the program, or do you have a different wish?
Not sure about the 'close the program button'. I don't think its necessary, but if its needed it should probably be on extreme left or right, rather than in among the other buttons.
Good point, I'll look into that.
Note: I reserve the right to change my mind about any of the above, when I take a second look tomorrow.
Equal to 'What ever happens it nothing to do with me gov!' :)

I look forward to more constructive criticism and thanks again.
cage

Post by cage »

I really like this program cogier, it is as good if not better then most of the ones in the repositories. One feature I would like to see is the ability to delete images in the folders. Not sure if you have that in the program or not. I am still playing around with it and will let you know more later.
cage

Post by cage »

I added a button to your program to delete pictures being displayed. I wanted to use a right click to do it but it caused problems. Going to work on that.

I added a delete button and disabled it, but as soon as the program runs it's enabled. Here is the routine that I used. You can use it or make a better solution.
Public Sub btnDelete_Click()

Select Message.Question("Are you sure you want to delete: " & DirChooser1.SelectedPath &/ FileView1.Current, " Yes ", " No ")
Case 1

Kill DirChooser1.SelectedPath &/ FileView1.Current

Case 2
      Message.Title = "Delete"
      Message.Info("Deletion has been aborted")
      Return
  End Select

Message.Title = "Entry Deleted"
  Message.Info(DirChooser1.SelectedPath &/ FileView1.Current & " has been deleted!")
  Form_Open
End
Attachments
Delete.png
Delete.png (31.26 KiB) Viewed 10058 times
cage

Post by cage »

Okay worked out the problem with right click delete. Just added this code to the end of the code.
Public Sub FileView1_MouseDown()

If Mouse.Button = 2 Then
    Select Message.Question("Are you sure you want to delete: " & DirChooser1.SelectedPath &/ FileView1.Current, " Yes ", " No ")
      Case 1

Kill DirChooser1.SelectedPath &/ FileView1.Current

Case 2
         Message.Title = "Delete"
         Message.Info("Deletion has been aborted")
         Return
  End Select

Message.Title = "Entry Deleted"
  Message.Info(DirChooser1.SelectedPath &/ FileView1.Current & " has been deleted!")
  Form_Open
Endif

End
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

cogier wrote: Wednesday 6th November 2019 10:15pm Thanks and thanks again for the input. It is very infrequent that I get any feedback on programs I have written even though I include an email address. My most popular Gambas Farm program BarcodeCreator has had 1364 downloads to date and not a single comment.
Most people don't provide feedback. Those that do often fall into 2 groups:-
1) Those that feel very strongly about something (the extremists).
2) Those that like the sound of their own voice (Err...ok, that's me).

So you may need to clock up thousands of downloads before you get feedback.
...and of course people may be happy, so have nothing much to say!

At least you haven't been beaten up yet (see my recent rant: http://captainbodgit.blogspot.com/2019/ ... mouth.html)
I don't really understand the Auto/Man switch.
I think this is a good feature. This will automatically rotate a photo if necessary, or not if on Manual. Seems to work well, see grandchild that wont keep the fancy dress on until I take the picture :cry:
I tend to see ambiguity in a lot of things that others don't (its probably some kind of ...ism); with labelled push buttons, I'm never sure whether the text shows the current state or what happens when you press it...that's why I prefer radio buttons or tick boxes.

Would like to be able to set the default folder path (e.g. I might want it to open in {say} /home/steve/photography/2019)....Did I say that?

I look forward to more constructive criticism and thanks again.
...I'll be back!
Last edited by stevedee on Thursday 7th November 2019 2:20pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

When I run the program I get this message:-
"gb.gui.qt: warning: 'gb.qt5' component not found, using 'gb.qt 4' instead"
...so that may be linked to my font/presentation issue.

You have "Bookmark current directory" and the program stores the last used path, so that's all covered.

I'd like to be able to use the up/down arrow keys to move through the images in a given directory.

For much of the time I'm only interested in a sub-set of EXIF data (e.g. Exposure, F-stop, ISO, focal length) so it would be nice to be able to config this as a user setting.

I don't have any photos with GPS data, but if you'd like to post a few, I'll test that aspect as well.

conclusion

As a simple jpeg viewer, this program works well, has a pretty clean user interface, and your code (as always) looks neat & tidy.

If you are looking for ideas for expansion, I'd say consider adding a histogram and a way to launch an external (user selectable) image editor.

If you really want to up-your-game consider this; an increasing number of people are now taking pictures in a RAW format. However, all RAW files contain a jpeg image version which allows viewers (like Geeqie) to quickly open and display images without consuming GBytes of RAM.

Operating as a RAW viewer may be drifting too far away from your original spec, if so, please ignore.
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

...and just one more thing, it looks like you can use exiftool to get jpegs from RAWs.

This works:-

Code: Select all

exiftool -b -JpgFromRaw {Nikon raw.NEF} > test.jpg
...for some RAWs like Nikon .NEF files

While this works:-

Code: Select all

exiftool -b -PreviewImage {Olympus raw.ORF} > test.jpg
...for others like Pentax (.pef) and Olympus (.orf)
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

I am working on many of your and cage's comments. Please wait. Regarding RAW images I only have one comment.

Stay tuned.....