Forum sections required

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
Serban

Forum sections required

Post by Serban »

Hi!
I assume that Charlie is the "Director" of the show so this I guess goes to him.
I want two sections added to "Board Index":

Forum management and user requests
Designed for Admin announcements, various requests from users, news on various topics on Gambas, either development or maybe workarounds for some annoying trouble.

Gambas Books
That is important stuff so it has to be visible, without guess-work and searches. Searches only waste time.

What I love here:
The "Project Showcase".
Brilliant idea! We can talk, exchange ideas, find solutions over a project that is already here, a working sample of what might be achieved using Gambas.
The combination "Gambas Farm" and "Project Showcase", is the best approach to learning anything.
I probably am the kind of "problem-solution" type of person so maybe my perspective might somehow be distorted in someway, but nevertheless, I truely, deeeply belive that with any problem, the Universe puts at least one solution. They live in couples. All we need to do is, accept and proceed to the Journey to find it.
Most of all, it's visible and intuitive!
That's why the books section has to be at the same level of depth: visibility and obviousness.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke;
It's easy to die for an idea. It is way harder to LIVE for your idea! (Me)
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Forum sections required

Post by cogier »

I assume that Charlie is the "Director" of the show so this I guess goes to him.
I suppose I am, I do pay for the site which seems to be growing slowly and happy to do so.
I want two sections added to "Board Index":

Forum management and user requests
Designed for Admin announcements, various requests from users, news on various topics on Gambas, either development or maybe workarounds for some annoying trouble.
Due to the relatively small amount of posts made I am reluctant to complicate issues by adding more 'sections'. I feel that the 'Lounge' will suffice for any announcements.

Regarding topics books etc. I am happy to add then to Gambas.One part of the site. We have one book already here and I am happy to add yours. Perhaps you could write some text as an introduction to you and your book and I will create a new page for it, even if it is still 'early days'.
Serban

Post by Serban »

cogier wrote: Sunday 29th March 2020 11:42am Due to the relatively small amount of posts made I am reluctant to complicate issues by adding more 'sections'. I feel that the 'Lounge' will suffice for any announcements.
Got that! :)
cogier wrote: Sunday 29th March 2020 11:42am Regarding topics books etc. I am happy to add then to Gambas.One part of the site.
[...] Perhaps you could write some text as an introduction to you and your book and I will create a new page for it, even if it is still 'early days'.
Thanks! In fact, when I mentioned "a WP site", this was/IS, the site.
About writing an article:
An .odt would do the trick?
I use LibreOffice for years already, I've been an OpenOffce user before that. Never liked MSWord...
Before the "before", was AmiPro 3.x, then Corel WP, then I used Atlantis a .rtf very nice FREE program.
I'll get back as soon as I have anything.
Have a great day and again, thanks! :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”― Edmund Burke;
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

That's fine. I can convert it to PDF.
Serban

Post by Serban »

cogier wrote: Sunday 29th March 2020 12:55pm
That's fine. I can convert it to PDF.
Oooops! :D
I can sent you both! :D
Technopeasant

Post by Technopeasant »

Serban wrote: Sunday 29th March 2020 8:23amWhat I love here:
The "Project Showcase".
Brilliant idea! We can talk, exchange ideas, find solutions over a project that is already here, a working sample of what might be achieved using Gambas.
Why thank you. :D

I got the idea from the FreeGameDev forums.
Technical director,
Piga Software
http://icculus.org/piga/
Serban

Post by Serban »

Technopeasant wrote: Monday 30th March 2020 11:27pm [...]
I got the idea from the FreeGameDev forums.
Thanks for the tip! :)
I went there and I saw the section. Interesting structure. I'm somehow found by the idea of structuring things, although... I was reckless as an infant.
Life, on the other hand, forces you to learn so... I had to learn: (A) Willingly (B) Painfully. First choice, although obvious for the most, for me seemed somehow taugh to choose. It took me sometime to become awear of the difference between "A stack of..." and "A TREE of...".
From my perspective, programming, forces you to learn the difference between efficiency and verbosity.
Being verbose, helps understanding the problem. But... Is this as efficient as possible?
I belive this is something I still have to learn a lot...
And programming, offeres this very special lesson:
(A) Either you write 500 lines of code to do whatever BUT spent the time, OR
(B) Write 50 lines of code that do the exact same job, but "less verbose". Yeah, the fun of programming fades off. Still... Is it worth spending the time?
That was the idea of "New sections"...
On the other hand, Cogier pointed to the "efficiency" matter...
Since I had two or three forums so far, I see the difference between "Lots of sections" and "Efficient structure"...
The User base decides, in fact.
He was/IS right!