More thoughts on Gambas Help

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
stevedee

More thoughts on Gambas Help

Post by stevedee »

I've been thinking about Gambas Help over the last few days and wondering if there were any relatively easy ways to improve or supplement it.

I like the Language index list, but I've always thought that a lot of important stuff is hidden away in Gambas Components. One example is the Message box which I seem to remember took me a while to find when I first started with Gambas, and I still can't remember which component it is in.

So yesterday I started playing around with a simple key-word search on the Gambas wiki, as a way to quickly get to the required information.

Please don't bother to comment on my code in the following example.

All I'm really interested in is this: Could this be a useful idea or is it a completely pointless exercise?

See Project Showcase to download this project: https://forum.gambas.one/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=995
Last edited by stevedee on Tuesday 5th January 2021 4:38pm, edited 6 times in total.
PJBlack

Re: More thoughts on Gambas Help

Post by PJBlack »

change from qt4 to gtk/qt, killed the green and change search engine to google works perfectly ... thanks
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Good idea.

BrianG did the same thing the other day and posted it on the M/L.
https://lists.gambas-basic.org/pipermai ... 71143.html

Benoit didn't seem too excited. says the reason you have to log on to wiki to use it's built in search is to reduce excessive server use. it's a feature reserved for real people not scripts/bots.

I wish someone could incorporate a search feature on the local downloaded wiki
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

BruceSteers wrote: Wednesday 23rd December 2020 11:16am ...BrianG did the same thing the other day...
Thanks for the link and the input Bruce.

BrianG's program sounds much more specific and sophisticated than mine. One thing I like about my approach is that I seem to get not only the most relevant links at the top, but also get related stuff (even from Gambas ONE) in the search list.

Another approach might be to build something based upon code within the IDE. After all, when you type something like: TextBox. the system gives you the help relevant to the control and a list of properties & methods. So the code basically already exists, somewhere.

The way that I work is generally to plan out how I'm going to tackle a program before I even load the IDE. So that's why some kind of targeted search facility appeals to me.
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

PJBlack wrote: Wednesday 23rd December 2020 10:05am ...and change search engine to google works perfectly...
Did you find that this works better with Google than DuckDuckGo or is this just your preferred search engine?

The reason I ask is because DuckDuckGo does not seem to limit itself to the specified website. Not sure if this is DDG or the way I specify the search string..............OK, I've now fixed this.
Last edited by stevedee on Thursday 24th December 2020 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

I'm still not sure if this idea "has legs" but I've expanded the code to include 6 specific site searches...
MyLittleGambasHelper.png
MyLittleGambasHelper.png (131.81 KiB) Viewed 6247 times

...including the GambasONE forum.

The download project link on post#1 has been updated.
PJBlack

Post by PJBlack »

stevedee wrote: Thursday 24th December 2020 7:25am Did you find that this works better with Google than DuckDuckGo or is this just your preferred search engine?
maybe i'm just used to google and toold for changes ...
cage

Post by cage »

Stevedee looks great and works great. All it needs is a zoom function for us old people whose eyes are not so young :lol:
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

cage wrote: Friday 25th December 2020 11:01pm ...it needs is a zoom function for us old people whose eyes are not so young...
Thanks cage.

I was having the same issue with the tiny text, so a couple of days ago I added a zoom control.

I've just updated the project file in post #1, so please download again and give it a try.

I've also added a simple 'back' or 'refresh' button and included Olivier's (ocoquet) French forum in the list of search options (although there is 'nothing-to-see-here' at the moment).
grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 »

It is a very nice and use full program ... Thanks

The zoom should also include the left hand panel as well ... I just had cataract surgery in the first eye and it is very hard to read small print.
I did go into the program and change the font to a larger size.

Now I just have to figure out how to add it to my Gnome desktop.