Gambas for Puppy-Linux

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
casperl

Re: Gambas for Puppy-Linux

Post by casperl »

Some feedback: I downloaded iso for slacko 6.3.2 and it was impressive. Could download and install Gambas3 right away. Verdict is that it is extremely fast with a low memory & resources usage.

However.... Virtualbox + Puppy = Not a seamless experience. (Say no more.)

I have some <very old and one recent> Linux boxen that have not been switched on for year(s). I am motivated to install puppy on them and bring those PC's back to life. This is an ideal environment on which someone can be introduced to (or learn) programming.
didier18

Post by didier18 »

Hello casperl

Thank you for the feedback and feedback ...

The speed of "puppy-linux" is that it is fully loaded in RAM (which is faster than on the HDD).

The use by Virtualbox is possible (for tests), but I dislike it in normal use. You also found that the speed performance was mediocre with Virtualbox ...

In general we install puppy-linux on a USB key, but it is possible to install it on the HDD, on an SDCard or even not to install it but to start on a LiveCD.

I personally installed "ToOpPy V2.2 specifies 3.14.55" on a 64GB SDCard (which is more than enough) to store the backup file and various .sfs archives.
I noticed that in use the SDCard was faster than a USB key (but this is probably the transfer rate (45Mb / s)).

In general, it is advisable to have at least 512MB of RAM on the old PCs for the puppy-linux to function correctly, but some managed to operate with only 256MB ...

Have a good day.
JFB

Post by JFB »

@didier18 (or anyone who knows the answer). I have been using Tahrpup 6.0.5 for about four weeks. So I'm still learning the Puppy way. I downloaded Gambas3_3.9.2.sfs and tried to install/load it with SFS-Load on-the-fly. I got the following error message:
fatal:Failed to append '/initrd/pup_ro4' to unionfs
Of course I don't know what this means (other than the install failed), could you please tell me how to fix this... Thanks...
didier18

Post by didier18 »

Hello

Apparently this is a mount point that was not done properly ... The ".sfs" archive must be present on the session mount.

It seems to me that tahrpup 6.0.5 is a 64Bit version (check) ...
It is therefore necessary to use the ".sfs" corresponding to this version, that is to say gambas3_3.3.9.2_amd64.sfs that you will be able to find here.

If the tahrpup version is 32Bit, you can also try to load the latest version that I recompiled gambas3_3.10.0.sfs that you will find here.

This version works under tooppy v2.2, triton (latest version that uses tahr 6.0.5) and can be under tahrpup (I have not tested).

NB: You have to load the devx corresponding to the distribution, otherwise you will not have access to GNU tools.

have a good day
jornmo
Site Admin

Post by jornmo »

JFB!! Hi! What a missing! Glad to have you back :D
didier18

Post by didier18 »

Hello JFB

Did you manage to install gambas3 on tahrpup 6.0.5?

I just tried with a session mounted from a CD-ROM and everything is ok (see screenshot).
I do not know if you used a PAE or NO PAE version ...
So I took the lowest version (NO PAE) to do the test.

Have a good day.
Attachments
tahr605_gambas3.jpg
tahr605_gambas3.jpg (94.94 KiB) Viewed 13304 times
didier18

Post by didier18 »

Hello

I just finished compiling and uploading gambas3_3.10.0_amd64.sfs.
These are the packages available in launchpad.net for "precise" versions.

You can download this version here ->download gambas3_3.10.0_amd64.sfs (click on me)

This archive is compatible with :
Tahr64_6.0.5.

Have a nice day
didier18

Post by didier18 »

Hello

The new version of gambas3_3.11.2 in".sfs" format (click on me) is available in 32Bit and 64Bit.

Have a nice day.
didier18

Post by didier18 »

Hello

The new version of gambas3_3.11.4 in".sfs" format (click on me) is available in 32Bit and 64Bit.

Have a nice day.
didier18

Post by didier18 »

---en---
Hello.

A version of gambas3_3.11.4_bionic_amd64.sfs (click on me) is available...
As indicated in the file name, this version is compatible with 64Bit bionic puppy-linux distributions such as the Bionicpup64 (click on me)...

Have a good day.

---fr---
Bonjour

Une version de gambas3_3.11.4_bionic_amd64.sfs (cliquer sur moi) est disponible...
Comme indiqué dans le nom du fichier, cette version est compatible avec les distributions puppy-linux 64Bit bionic comme par exemple la Bionicpup64 (cliquer sur moi)...

Bonne journée.