Raspbian Bookworm issues

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
rj71

Raspbian Bookworm issues

Post by rj71 »

Hi All, Bookworm for RPI's was recently released and I have a RPI 4 that's running an app I've been working on for awhile and has worked fairly well on Raspbian Bullseye. Gambas version on the RPI 4 is 3.18. So far I've had several issues that I have solved or found a work around but there's one I can't seem to fix. I have a form that I want to move to the bottom of the screen when it's opened using me.move(0, some number) but it stays centered on the screen and does not move. Anyone know an alternative to get the form to move to the bottom (or top if I ever want to do that)?
BruceSteers

Re: Raspbian Bookworm issues

Post by BruceSteers »

Probably (i guess by the nature of the problem) the desktop is using wayland and wayland sucks.

if it IS using Wayland then install an x11 desktop or xwayland or many gambas features do not work.

some things still do not work after installing xwayland so an x11 desktop is better.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
rj71

Post by rj71 »

Thanks Bruce. I'll start my investigation there and report back for anyone else that needs the info.
rj71

Post by rj71 »

Bruce is right. I have switched this RPI 4 to X11 using the raspi-config tool and this appears to have solved this particular issue of automatically moving the form to the bottom of the screen. Anyone have any insight on if Gambas will play nice with Wayland in the future?
Donald D Ross

Post by Donald D Ross »

I got caught unknowing Bookworm had been released so I started in .....
I did a fresh install of Bookworm and a fresh Install of Gambas and starting Gambas from the Raspberry Program Menu got nothing (every time). I tried from terminal and got a problem with qb.gtk3.wayland missing so I did a manual install of it. Starting Gambas then got it to start with readable help topics with a scrambled screen in the background (every time). Couldn't do much else with that. I did a rasp-config Advanced and selected X11 and did a reboot to get the Gambas IDE working. I later switched back to the wayland interface and did a reboot and gambas would start then about like normal.
Programs with sliders in programs show NO sliders till any one is moved then they all show ok.

Kind of strange but this is what got things working with a fresh install of the RPI Bookworm OS (64) and Gambas 3.18.0 on a RPI 4, 4Gig.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

rj71 wrote: Wednesday 18th October 2023 7:25pm Bruce is right. I have switched this RPI 4 to X11 using the raspi-config tool and this appears to have solved this particular issue of automatically moving the form to the bottom of the screen. Anyone have any insight on if Gambas will play nice with Wayland in the future?
When wayland plays nice.
Wayland is full of restrictions that make gambas not work properly, certain things we are used to being able to do with gambas and X are just not possible with wayland.

Like the problem you mention with the form moving to the bottom of the screen.
There is no code in gambas making it do that, that's "feature" of wayland. and like most wayland features it's rubbish and restrictive and it's all new code full of bugs.

Basically gambas gb.gui was written around X ,
If you want gambas to do all the things that you know it does ,, use X not wayland.
wayland is half the system that X is. I am really not a fan.

Sometimes it can help wayland if you install XWayland this is a layer that makes wayland more x compatible..

but you are better off ditching it for X if you want gambas programs to work as expected.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

Bejeezus its nice to be right. How long ago did I tell you that "wayland just sucks". There has been much in my inbox recently about how grate (intentional) wayland is. Unfortunately they don't reply when I list the things that "just don't work", apart from one "expert" who stated "well, no-one would want to do that". :?: :roll: :roll:
Apart from the fact that it just doesn't work, let me just add that their architecture also sucks. One of the most common pieces of ordure, apart from "but xorg is so old" is that it was designed to interact with mainframes. Well,... well, I dont really think that was the actual design goal. It was designed to allow interaction, between applications, machines (including mainframes) and the user. Remember them?
b
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".