What are the differences between Tab Strip and Tab Panel?

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
AndrewZabar

What are the differences between Tab Strip and Tab Panel?

Post by AndrewZabar »

Sorry this is clearly a newbie question but the documentation is extremely inefficient and hard to find any detailed explanations of anything. I wish this system were far more widely used. It's awesome.

Anyway, I would like to know what are the differences between TabPanel and TabStrip?
They appear pretty much identical, aside from the slightest aesthetic such as border depth. That could be my imagination actually.

I figured maybe they're the equivalent of tabstrip and sstab in VB, but even with those I don't think I was ever really that clear, I just read I should use sstab so that's what I usually used.

But I digress. Please advise,
Thanks.
BruceSteers

Re: What are the differences between Tab Strip and Tab Panel?

Post by BruceSteers »

TabPanel is the enhanced version.

TabStrip is basically the component qt5 gives us.

TabPanel is a gambas object that is an enhanced tabstrip that has more features but is also is more configurable when you know how to hack gambas controls :)
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

Hey, thanks.
Is there somewhere I can access detailed information on all the elements of gambas? The documentation on the gambas wiki is exceedingly hard to navigate, and search is unavailable without logging in (um... WHY???), and I can't seem to create a login for myself.

I have been really eager to learn more and more of gambas, and to make more and more complex applications. I have made a few small utilities, but it is prohibitively difficult to access quality documentation on the system. I did develop in VB6 for about a decade, so I am familiar enough with the language and typical controls, but anytime I run into a hurdle, I find it exhausting trying to find documentation that makes sense and is easy to access. The wiki needs to be searchable, seriously. What kind of site blocks search unless you're logged in?????

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
The literature says that the .count property of a tabPanel is just like the one for tabStrip - that it returns or sets the amount of tabs. However, while it works setting the count for a Strip, it does not work for a Panel. So I'm stuck right now and cannot find anything with more information. This kind of situation makes me want to give up on gambas, but I have not yet.

Any suggestion for setting the .count?
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

I just wanted to add an update because this is acting weird.
So, I have on my Form, a TabStrip and a TabPanel. I load a sub when the form loads and the sub sets the count of each. The syntax is correct I know that much.
Here's what happens. The Strip is fine. With regard to the Panel, it won't set the amount when the sub runs. HOWEVER, if I change the count in the properties of the control in the IDE first, then when the form loads and the sub runs, it DOES change the count. And it changes to the amount stated in the sub, different from the count I set in the IDE properties. But it only works if I have changed it from 1.

Any idea what's going on? Bug in the control, I'm thinking.
Meantime I think I'll use the Strip just to make things easier.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

I think it's like the other Bruce said in the other post.
They are there they just have no text

It just looks like TabPanel only auto titles the first tab "Tab 1" but does not auto-title others set by code.

(usually your tabs would not be titled Tab 1, Tab 2, etc but you would give them proper titles)

So you just need to set the .Text property for each tab.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS