[Solved] Get the Previous Sunday from a Date

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
cogier
Site Admin

Re: [Solved - sort of] Get the Previous Sunday from a Date

Post by cogier »

That works for me.
grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 »

Like a dog with a bone ... I can't let go until I have finished it :lol:

Dim iDay As Integer = WeekDay(Now)
   If iDay = 6 Then iDay = -1    ' Move sat to begining of week 
   Print Date(DateAdd(Now, gb.Day, -(iDay + 1) - gb.Week))
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

grayghost4 wrote: Tuesday 2nd April 2024 2:42pm Like a dog with a bone ... I can't let go until I have finished it :lol:

Print Date(DateAdd(Now, gb.Day, -(iDay + 1) - gb.Week))
Woof! Woof! Sorry, but it returns the wrong Sunday. Using today's date, it returns the Sunday 24th March and not the 31st.

Here's my effort.

Public Sub Form_Open()

Print GetLastSunday(Now)
  Print GetLastSunday(Date(2024, 4, 1))
  Print GetLastSunday(Date(2024, 3, 31))
  Print GetLastSunday(Date(2024, 3, 25))
  Print GetLastSunday(Date(2024, 3, 23))

End

Public Sub GetLastSunday(dDate As Date) As String

Dim sDay As Integer = WeekDay(dDate)

If sDay = 0 Then sDay = 7
  Return Format(DateAdd(dDate, gb.Day, -sDay), "dddd d mmmm yyyy")

End
grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 »

I read the original post as wanting the sunday of the last full week to print the last week activity report.
as I need to get the Sunday to Monday dates for a report that run for the previous week (no matter what day the report would be run this week it would always report back the previous Monday to Sunday dates)
Mabe I did not understand what he needed ;)

for me it was a good exersize and learing how to use some of the date functions :D

rereading the OP i guess he wants the Monday of the last full week ... so just remove the "-1" from the iDay and print the following sunday

Print Date(DateAdd(Now, gb.Day, -(iDay) - gb.Week))
   Print Date(DateAdd(Now, gb.Day, -iDay))
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

grayghost4 wrote: Wednesday 3rd April 2024 2:17pm I read the original post as wanting the sunday of the last full week to print the last week activity report.
as I need to get the Sunday to Monday dates for a report that run for the previous week (no matter what day the report would be run this week it would always report back the previous Monday to Sunday dates)

for me it was a good exersize and learing how to use some of the date functions :D

rereading the OP i guess he wants the Monday of the last full week ... so just remove the "-1" from the iDay and print the following sunday

I think he wants a few things, as soon as i solved one issue he asked for another variant.

I'm pretty sure he's been given enough help/information needed to make the function/functions work how he needs it to now.

I think his biggest issue at first was he was adding integer values directly to date objects and that's a no no that's bound to cause problems
Now he knows to use DateAdd instead and has been shown a few tricks on how to get from one day to another.

I'm pretty sure he's now well equipped to figure out all he needs to :)
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

BruceSteers wrote: Wednesday 3rd April 2024 3:42pm
grayghost4 wrote: Wednesday 3rd April 2024 2:17pm I read the original post as wanting the sunday of the last full week to print the last week activity report.

I think he wants a few things, as soon as i solved one issue he asked for another variant.

I'm pretty sure he's been given enough help/information needed to make the function/functions work how he needs it to now.

I think his biggest issue at first was he was adding integer values directly to date objects and that's a no no that's bound to cause problems
Now he knows to use DateAdd instead and has been shown a few tricks on how to get from one day to another.

I'm pretty sure he's now well equipped to figure out all he needs to :)

He is WELL equipped to sort the rest of the issues out thank you to EVERYONE who has posted a example the different examples on here are showing me a lot on how the DateAdd works so I very much appreciate that.

And like the saying goes "Give a man a fish he will eat for a day, Teach him to fish he will eat for life" and that is the same with Gambas I have managed (With help from everyone on here) to do some VERY advanced Functions and features that I could only dream about on the Windows version of my Point of sale system.