A Personal Lens Register Database for photography aficionados

So you have written that new, must have program. Let us see it here.
01McAc

A Personal Lens Register Database for photography aficionados

Post by 01McAc »

A Personal Lens Register

The program oranises all sorts of lenses, lens makers, mounts and it is aimed for photography aficionados. It comes with a set of 9 lenses and you are able to add whatever lenses you want or own.
Organising means: you can add specific details of lenses and - if you own one of them - you are able to add details about the purchasing process. It supports Drag'n Drop of images (if you have one) into the program. Once you get sick of a lens and want to sell it: all the information about the selling process can be added as well. There are (simple) reports of a) what you own and didn't sell, b) what you purchased, c) what you sold and d) what's on sale at the moment.
Lens maker provide a lot of information of their lenses. I organised the information into a couple of categories: Focal Specifics, Overview, Technical Data, Misc Serial No Ranges, and CLA (Clean, Lubricate, Adjust) with an IconPanel which looks pretty cool imho.
The Personal Lens Register uses a sqlite database. Full-text search (similar to Google seach) is available. It is implemented as FTS5 in sqlite. It can be enabled or disabled in one of the forms with a checkbox. If you are interested in FTS there is a script in directory Data/SqlRefFiles/ which rebuilds the FTS index. FTS allows to search case-independent across almost all columns in the database without the risk of full table scans across the whole database. You can use the asterisk (*) as a postfix token. So the program is able to handle hundreds and thousends of lenses and you are going to find them all;)
Also, very important is the ability to export the added lens data and import them after a new version has been deployed.

This is my first Gambas program and I developed it with the help of Quincunxian. He gave me advice how to handle databases, classes etc in Gambas. I am afraid I screwed up his structured and well written code. The program is fully functional but it is still a beta version. There is an enormous need to improve and pimp up the code. Have fun.
Attachments
Lenses-v.0.2.8.tar.gz
(3.55 MiB) Downloaded 300 times
Screenshot_20210220_175652.jpg
Screenshot_20210220_175652.jpg (199.27 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
01McAc

Re: A Personal Lens Register Database for photography aficionados

Post by 01McAc »

I am pleased to deploy version 0.2.15 of the Personal Lens Register
There are a couple of changes since the last version:
  • Set a colour of your choice for any lens in the grid and persist in database
  • Fixed a few bugs
  • Use of multiprocessing when building new FTS virtual table in sqlite
  • enhanced user experience;)
  • added some more information re mounts and lens maker
  • added a 5-star lens rating (see following screen captures)
Rating_Gridview..jpg
Rating_Gridview..jpg (299.33 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
Rating_details.jpg
Rating_details.jpg (404.77 KiB) Viewed 4156 times
Attachments
Lenses-0.2.15-GO.tar.gz
(3.89 MiB) Downloaded 277 times
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

I had a quick look at your program, but it crashed here.

I also noticed that the forms have a help button, but the buttons don't work!?
01McAc

Post by 01McAc »

Thanks, I'll check what's wrong in sub Refresh_FTS(). Useless to say that it works on my computer :?
01McAc

Post by 01McAc »

Really appreciate your time and effort to go through my program! Thank you. I found a bug in row 109. Somehow the

Code: Select all

.Sort()
function was missing.
Screenshot_20210408_195745.jpg
Screenshot_20210408_195745.jpg (587.7 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
I attached the bug fix version 0.2.17. If you find other 'imperfections' please let me know.
Attachments
Lenses-0.2.17.tar.gz
(3.89 MiB) Downloaded 286 times