Detect label and change it

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
gambafeliz

Detect label and change it

Post by gambafeliz »

I have a form where there are several textboxes and next to each textbox I have put a label to label each textbox.

As data that I give you is that I have not associated or linked in any way these labels with their respective textbox.

That said, I'll tell you what I want to do and ask if someone knows how to solve it.

I want that when a specific textbox is left empty, the label that is next to it describing it, changes color to red, for example.

Someone tell me how without associating it or is it better to link it, for example, in this way:

label1 with textbox1

Or is it possible to detect the label closest to the textbox that I want to control.

Thanks.
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
thatbruce

Re: Detect label and change it

Post by thatbruce »

First, I really like this question.
But it's really a hard one.
And there are some "interesting" OO questions regarding it.

As far as I can tell, you want some control, specifically a Label, to respond to the display value of another control, specifically a textbox, without any knowledge of that control other than it is "nearby".

Hmm, or in other words, hmmmmmm.

Ok, well. Lets take the scenario that the textbox.text contains the string "Fred", then the user selects all the text and deletes it. At this point suddenly nothing happens. Then the user somehow causes the textbox to lose focus. Then textbox_change happens. Now this could be a good thing if you have a handler for textbox_change that tells the label to change its colors.

But I dont think that is what you are really after. For example if the textbox.text is "" when the form opens the same thing should happen.

I'll cut this meandering short. What you want is control X (the label) to have an implicit association with another control Y (the textbox) such that events of the implicitly associated control are detected and handled by the X control. Well that aint gunna happen unless the implicit association is replaced with an explicit one. Further if you try to implicitly associate the textbox control Y with another control, the label X, then that is a prescription for disaster code.
There is a way to achieve this by creating custom controls or specifically what I call custom composite controls. In your case it would consist of a Hbox containing a label and a textbox. Try them, they are good things. All the skills are in the help or at BruceS handiwork.

hth
t'other Bruce

P.S. Wouldn't the textbox thingo property that shows a null value as some string be more easy?
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

Sorry, I found you extremely funny. If it wasn't your intention, forgive me from the heart.

Apart from how funny your conversation is. Look, I understand that there are simple ways to associate the TextBox with the Label and that's it. But since I'm a novice I made a very complex form and I forgot this detail.

Now for idleness I said what if someone does magic and solves it without redoing the code. That's really bad, I apologize.

Anyway what you propose I did not understand very well, you know my problem to understand your language, maybe a minimal example with hbox, but it does not matter. Thanks.

My problem is that sometimes there are textboxes that cannot be left blank and there is a final button on the form to record that when it goes to record everything fails because of this damn blank textbox.

Well as I see that what I have proposed is very crazy because I am going to work associating label with Textbox and I end up with the problem. I thought there was something to detect controls around a Textbox or something.

Thank you and a thousand apologies, ah, I liked talking to you. Greetings.
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

No there is nothing automatic, stuff like that you just gotta code yourself.
A function to check would be pretty simple as usually that situation involves a bunch of HBoxes all containing one label and 1 textbox so you can use the .Parent..

Public Sub CheckTextFields(TextBoxes As TextBox[]) As TextBox[]

Dim CheckList As TextBox[] = TextBoxes.Copy()
  Dim lbl As Object

For c As Integer = CheckList.Max DownTo 0
    lbl = CheckList[c].Parent.Children[0]
    If Object.Type(lbl) <> "Label" Then lbl = CheckList[c].Parent.Children[1]
    If Object.Type(lbl) = "Label" Then
      If Not CheckList[c].Text Then
        lbl.Foreground = Color.Red
      Else
        lbl.Foreground = Color.Default
        CheckList.Remove(c)
      Endif

Else
      Print "Error finding Label for " & CheckList[c].Name
    Endif
  Next

Return CheckList

End

With that you can provide a list of TextBoxes and it will check the container and get the label with it (it checks child[0] and child[1])
it will work for label either to the left or right of the TextBox and providing the container (probably a HBox) only has 2 items in it, a label and a textbox

If textbox has text the item is removed from the checklist then it returns the TextBox[] items that still need to be filled and will set their label text to red.

Eg...

Public Sub SubmitForm()

Dim UnfilledTextBoxes As TextBox[] = CheckTextFields([TextBox1, TextBox2, TextBox3])

If UnfilledTextBoxes.Count Then
    Message.Error(UnfilledTextBoxes.Count & " items need to be filled")
    Return
  Endif

End

If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
vuott

Post by vuott »

gambafeliz wrote: Friday 30th September 2022 9:46amI want that when a specific textbox is left empty, the label that is next to it describing it, changes color to red, for example.
Hello,
do you mean something like this? :|
Private ttbb As New TextBox[]
Private llbb As New Label[]

Public Sub Form_Open()

Dim tb As TextBox
  Dim lb As Label

For c As Byte = 1 To 4
    With tb = New TextBox(Me) As "TBox"
      .X = 100
      .Y = 50 + (c * 50)
      .W = 100
      .H = 40
      .Alignment = Align.Right
      .Text = CStr(c)
    End With
    ttbb.Push(tb)
    With lb = New Label(Me)
      .X = tb.X + tb.W + 30
      .Y = tb.Y
      .w = tb.W
      .H = tb.H
      .Background = Color.SoftYellow
      .Alignment = Align.Right
      .Text = tb.Text
    End With
    llbb.Push(lb)
  Next 

End

Public Sub TBox_Change()

If ttbb.Count < 4 Then Return 

Dim n As Byte = ttbb.Find(Last)

If Last.Text = Null Then
    llbb[n].Text = Null
    llbb[n].Background = Color.Red
  Else 
    llbb[n].Text = ttbb[n].Text
    llbb[n].Background = Color.SoftYellow
  Endif

End
Europaeus sum !

Amare memorentes atque deflentes ad mortem silenter labimur.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Alternatively you can customize the TextBox.class to find it's corresponding Label and have a validating function.

Ie.. save this file in your .src folder as TextBox.class
' Gambas class file

Export
Property Read Label As Label Use hLabel

Public Sub Validate() As Boolean

hLabel = Me.Parent.Children[0]
  If Object.Type(hLabel) <> "Label" Then 
    hLabel = Me.Parent.Children[1]
    If Object.Type(hLabel) <> "Label" Then Error.Raise("No label")
  Endif

If Not Me.Text Then
    hLabel.Foreground = Color.Red
    hLabel.Refresh
    Return True
  Else If hLabel.Foreground <> Color.Default Then
    hLabel.Foreground = Color.Default
    hLabel.Refresh
  Endif

End
That will give all your text boxes a Validate() function and a .Label property
The Validate() function finds the Parents label and sets the TextBox.Label property

So the following code will check TextBox1, TextBox2 and TextBox3 and set the label color accordingly...
Public Sub btnSubmitForm_Click()

Dim Missing As Integer

For Each tbox As TextBox In [TextBox1, TextBox2, TextBox3]
  If tbox.Validate() Then 
    Print tbox.Label.Text & " needs to be filled"
    Inc Missing
  Endif
Next

If Missing Then Print Missing & " missing fields"

End
BruceS
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

My solution to this issue is to use a timer.

This is the form I created: -

This is all the code: -
Public Sub Timer1_Timer()

Dim TBs As TextBox[] = [TextBox1, TextBox2, TextBox3, TextBox4, TextBox5, TextBox6, TextBox7, TextBox8, TextBox9, TextBox10]
  Dim Labels As Label[] = [Label1, Label2, Label3, Label4, Label5, Label6, Label7, Label8, Label9, Label10]
  Dim iLoop As Integer

For iLoop = 0 To TBs.Max
    If Trim(TBs[iLoop].Text) = "" Then
      Labels[iLoop].Background = Color.Yellow
      Labels[iLoop].Foreground = Color.Red
      Labels[iLoop].Font.Bold = True
    Else
      Labels[iLoop].Background = Color.Default
      Labels[iLoop].Foreground = Color.Default
      Labels[iLoop].Font.Bold = False
    Endif
  Next

End
TestOnly-0.0.4.tar.gz
(12.47 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

Nup. Parent tracing can't work if the parent is the form (or some container in the form that contains multiple controls). Depending on the form layout or user manipulation of the form height and width the internal arrangement calls will make the ordinal positions of the label and the textbox more or less indeterminate. The only way I know of achieving this is to enclose both controls in some composite container control, like a HBox for instance. The thing that knows both the label and the textbox is that container. The container, when the TextBox.Text is set or altered can detect some events and then alter the Label format.
As I (somewhat amusingly it appears) tried to say, the only non-disastriously way to achieve the desired result is to encapsulate the Label and the Textbox in a container by themselves so that the entire effect is handled within that container. Neither the label nor the textbox should try to know something about each other that they shouldn't.
Well, that's my opinion anyway.
b
p.s. cogier posted while I was typing. It's a good simple solution but not robust.... If the form is redesigned at some point in time then the two arrays will not necessarily be correct any longer. Believe me, I know this from sad experience.
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

Thanks, I'm really excited about your proposals.
Of course I am seeing that you all have interesting reasoning.
Please give me some time to implement the most reasonable ones from your solutions.
And later I will explain which one and why I take x solution.

Thank you, you are good friends.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

thatbruce wrote: Saturday 1st October 2022 1:05pm Nup. Parent tracing can't work if the parent is the form (or some container in the form that contains multiple controls).
Quite an unlikely "if" though I think.
take for example Cogiers example , i bet each one of those textboxes with labels are in their own HBox containers. so it would work for all of those.

I think in MOST cases if you have a text box with an accompanying Label defining what it is (which is what this post was about) they will be in their own HBox

And i was clear in the first example that having 1 label and 1 textbox in each HBox is how the Parent/Children way of "finding a control next to another" will work best.
gambafeliz wrote: Saturday 1st October 2022 3:48pm Thanks, I'm really excited about your proposals.
Of course I am seeing that you all have interesting reasoning.
Please give me some time to implement the most reasonable ones from your solutions.
And later I will explain which one and why I take x solution.

Thank you, you are good friends.
Best of luck and have fun with it :)
BruceS