Lambda, anonymous functions, assign function to variable, etc.

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
kwhitefoot

Lambda, anonymous functions, assign function to variable, etc.

Post by kwhitefoot »

Is it possible to assign a function to a variable or pass a function to another function?
Or is creating a separate class for each function the only way to do it like old Java?
BruceSteers

Re: Lambda, anonymous functions, assign function to variable, etc.

Post by BruceSteers »

kwhitefoot wrote: Saturday 12th February 2022 5:58pm Is it possible to assign a function to a variable or pass a function to another function?
Or is creating a separate class for each function the only way to do it like old Java?
Possibly find what you are looking for with Object.Call()
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb/object/call

Then you can pass/assign the function (method) as a string and call it that way.

Object.Call(MyClass, "MyFunctionName", [My, Arguments])
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
AMUR-WOLF

Post by AMUR-WOLF »

kwhitefoot wrote: Saturday 12th February 2022 5:58pm Is it possible to assign a function to a variable or pass a function to another function?
Yes. If you want more SOLID in a Gambas application, you should create a separate class for each function. The situation is worse: there is no generics in Gambas, so we should duplicate hierarchies of classes for each type of input and output.

Assigning a function to a variable or passing a function to another function is an illusion in Java. Really, we assign and pass an object of anonymous class that implements a functional interface. When I code on Java, I often prefer anonymous class because I immediately see the name of the interface and signature of overridden method, so readability is better.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

You could also use a Property in any class then reading the property is actually a function.

Property MyPropertyName As Variant

Private Function MyPropertyName_Read() As Variant

' this is a function not a simple variable

Dim vResult As Variant = PerformSomeFunction()
  Return vResult

End

Private Sub MyPropertyName_Write(Value As Variant)

Dim vVar As Variant = Value
  DoSomethingWith(vVar)

End

then if you did this..
Print Me.MyPropertyName

The MyPropertyName_Read() Function is run and the results returned

Or this...
Me.MyPropertyName = "SomeThing"

Then the MyPropertyName_Write() Sub is run with "SomeThing" as the Value
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Also there is using the 3 dots and Param.class if it's a variadic expression you want.
See http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/lang/methoddecl

I don't know truly what you mean by a Lambda function but there are ways to accomplish many things in gambas.
BruceS