Gambas runtime 3.16.0

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
AndyGable

Gambas runtime 3.16.0

Post by AndyGable »

Hi everyone,

I hope someone could advice me on the following

I am using Gambas 3.16.0 (built from source) and its runs great and i am steaming ahead with my project

Now my question is how do I make the runtime files so I can install my app onto another computer?

Do I have to rebuild and install 3.16.0 on every computer that I want my app to run on

As Debian only have 3.14 in the repo at the moment.
stevedee

Re: Gambas runtime 3.16.0

Post by stevedee »

AndyGable wrote: Friday 4th June 2021 3:08pm ...Now my question is how do I make the runtime files so I can install my app onto another computer?
Gambas IDE menu Project > Make > Installation package...
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

Is it that simple 🤣

I feel like a right twit. Lol
tincho

Post by tincho »

Hi,
Maybe (I say this without testing) if you program with ide 3.16 and create the package with it, then if you install this package on a debian where there is only version 3.14 it might not work.
For example if in your program you use the Splitter control that exists from version 3.16.
Regards.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

In project properties you can set an env variable.

GB_PCODE_VERSION = 3.8

That will stop older gambas versions refusing to run your app with bytecode error.

But also as Tincho said you have to make sure code is backward compatible and not contain commands/functiions/objects from newer gambas.

It is best to compile/ make app on the older 3.14 or test it there at least.

It's the only way to be sure.

I make my apps on 3.16 but set PCODE variable, then load them.into 3.12 on debian just to make sure they work okay.

This is the whole reason I created the gambas upgrader tools so people could upgrade gambas easier than I could make my apps backward compatible 😆
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

BruceSteers wrote: Friday 4th June 2021 8:55pm In project properties you can set an env variable.

GB_PCODE_VERSION = 3.8

That will stop older gambas versions refusing to run your app with bytecode error.

But also as Tincho said you have to make sure code is backward compatible and not contain commands/functiions/objects from newer gambas.

It is best to compile/ make app on the older 3.14 or test it there at least.

It's the only way to be sure.

I make my apps on 3.16 but set PCODE variable, then load them.into 3.12 on debian just to make sure they work okay.

This is the whole reason I created the gambas upgrader tools so people could upgrade gambas easier than I could make my apps backward compatible 😆
Thanks Bruce I shall try that when I get to the Debain PC and I will let you all know how it goes