Compiling

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
nypaulie

Compiling

Post by nypaulie »

I am a several days Gambas newbie. With this forum's help I have a clean installation and wrote my first VERY simple program. It merely gives you one button to press that exits the program. Whoopy! Well, it works. How do I compile it? I pressed the compile button but where is the executable? I tried to find docs to learn the basics but what I found are inadequate. Anyone able to help? Thanks.
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Compiling

Post by cogier »

When you press the 'Compile' button, you will be offered a dialogue box. Click on the 'Options' Tab, then make sure a Desktop Shortcut is created.

EDIT: - 'Compile' is incorrect and should be 'Make executable'. Compile in Gambas is NOT the same a Compile in VB.

If your program is called MyProg then you will find a file called MyProg.gambas in your application folder. To see what's in there open the Tools menu and select Browse project... To see all the files make sure you set your file manager to show hidden files.

nypaulie

Post by nypaulie »

Pressing the compile button (down arrow over dot) does nothing. Pressing Project/Compile seems to start something (the revolving circle) but doesn't produce any results. If I first press the box with the asterisk in it indicating Make executable and then press Project/Compile after the revolving circle, the exec file shows in the project directory, so I guess I'm progressing. Still need a good reference book though. Thanks!
nypaulie

Post by nypaulie »

Found out more... apparently you must make it executable in order to get a compiled product. I deleted it and tried with and without first doing the make exec part. Here's the little button I needed to first press.
I promise to take a break and stop being a pest!
Attachments
Screenshot at 2021-08-18 11-45-43.png
Screenshot at 2021-08-18 11-45-43.png (658.69 KiB) Viewed 2487 times