RS232 / Serial Scale Help

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
AndyGable

Re: RS232 / Serial Scale Help

Post by AndyGable »

Hi @thatbruce

I copied your code and I got a error saying End of file in FMain:108 and it is heighlighting the line Line Input #RS232Scanner, Global.ScaleData
Public Sub btnRequestWeight_Click()
     RS232Scanner.EndOfLine = gb.mac        ' Trust me, I am an expert

Write #RS232Scanner, "S11\n"

Line Input #RS232Scanner, Global.ScaleData

If Not Global.ScaleData Then
        Print "Error With Incoming Serial Data"
    Else
        Print "Raw Scale Weight : "; Scan(Global.ScaleData, "S11*")[0]
    Endif
 End
*I had to update the Endofline to work with my RS232Scanner steam

This is what I am using to read the barcode from the scanner side
Sleep 0.025

Try Read #RS232Scanner, Global.ScannerData, Lof(RS232Scanner)

If Error Then
        Print "Error With Incoming Serial Data\n";; Error.Text
    Endif

If Len(Global.ScannerData) > 2 Then
        Print "Raw Barcode Number : " & CStr(Global.ScannerData)
        CleanUpBarcodeData(CStr(Global.ScannerData))
    Endif
If you know of a better why I am more then willing to see what you would do (best way to learn)
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

I copied your code and I got a error saying End of file in FMain:108 and it is heighlighting the line Line Input #RS232Scanner, Global.ScaleData
Good! Now we are getting somewhere. It looks like there is nothing in the input buffer as the Line Input is not waiting for some data.

Try this version

Code: Select all

RS232Scanner.EndOfLine = gb.mac
    RS232Scanner.Blocking = True
  '  From the wiki: When this property is set, reading from the stream will block if there is nothing to read

' Take little naps for a while to let anything happen like de operator putting de bananas on de scales
    While not Eof(#RS232Scanner)
        Wait 0.25 ' zzzz for 1/4 sec 
    Wend
    ' TODO: If that loops forever, then I'm wrong. Let me know.

Else
    Endif
 End
*I had to update the Endofline to work with my RS232Scanner steam
Ah, yes. I did wonder whether the static version would work in this situation. Don't forget I'm working blindly here, the only serial device at this location is me, so I can't check the code I'm posting. Also, the code "should be" atomic and you shouldn't have to make changes elsewhere to get it to work. So if other things break, undo it (use a dedicated branch for this stuff and use git revert? (or whatever it is)) and tell me.
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

'  From the wiki: When this property is set, reading from the stream will block if there is nothing to read

Write #RS232Scanner, "S14\n"

' Take little naps for a while to let anything happen like de operator putting de bananas on de scales
    'While Not Eof(RS232Scanner)
    '    Wait 0.25 ' zzzz for 1/4 sec 
    'Wend
    ' TODO: If that loops forever, then I'm wrong. Let me know.

Else
    Endif
 End
Hi thatbruce,

I tired your code and the app just sits there doing nothing if I Step though the code it just sits on the

Line Input #RS232Scanner, Global.ScaleData Line

And yes I had to comment out the loop command otherwise It was just in the loop for ever

this is just to show you I am getting data from the scanner side (so the scanner/scale is communicating to the Computer)
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

Woah! Where'd that
come from?
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

Sorry according to the C program it was needed (I must have forgotten to remove that before sending it to you)
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

AndyGable wrote: Sunday 12th September 2021 9:07pm
this is just to show you I am getting data from the scanner side (so the scanner/scale is communicating to the Computer)
No, AFAICT it tells me that you are getting data from the scanner unit and not particularly the scanner and the scale.
Get this manual https://manualzz.com/download/1055726 if you dont already have it and go through section 5, scanning each of the relevant looking barcodes, IOW lets find out if the damn scale unit is actually working. In fact it might be good idea to go through the entire bloody manual.

Ok, that's enough of the hardware for a moment.

Back to the software!

First lets get rid of this one: (I'm only writing this to make sure we are operating on the same wavelength here.)'

is equivalent to "Hey scale, whats the weight? NO STOP DOING THAT and do a 4!" (Whatever a 4 is, its not in any Datalogic "manual" that I can find.)

Anyway, lets try this way. This time I just want to wait till anything at all is received back from the unit.

Dim iBytes as Integer
    Dim sWhatever as String

' Wait for anything at all to be sent back.
	Do
		Wait 0.001									' Using a really small delay this time to lessen overflow risk 
		sWhatever &= Read #RS232Scanner As Byte 		' I hope this works, I've not tried appending bytes to a string "buffer" before.
		Print "Got ";Len(sWhatever);"from scanner"			' Just output the length of the receiving buffer
	Loop Until #RS232Scanner.Eof						' Keep going until we get an eof char. YOU MAY HAVE TO KILL IT AGAIN HERE.

' I'm not going to try and decipher the response message ATM until we can at least prove we got anything back.

End
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

Dim iBytes as Integer
    Dim sWhatever as String

' Wait for anything at all to be sent back.
	Do
		Wait 0.001									' Using a really small delay this time to lessen overflow risk 
		sWhatever &= Read #RS232Scanner As Byte 		' I hope this works, I've not tried appending bytes to a string "buffer" before.
		Print "Got ";Len(sWhatever);"from scanner"			' Just output the length of the receiving buffer
	Loop Until #RS232Scanner.Eof						' Keep going until we get an eof char. YOU MAY HAVE TO KILL IT AGAIN HERE.

' I'm not going to try and decipher the response message ATM until we can at least prove we got anything back.

End
I am sorry to say not a thing on that code either :(

I even tried to send a simple "S334\n" command (should make the scanner just bleep) but eben that did not work.

COULD all this issues be becuase I am opening as incoming only? (like from device to Computer and no both way communcation or is 2way the default for the comport in gambas?)
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

:evil:
I even tried to send a simple "S334\n" command (should make the scanner just bleep) but eben that did not work.

COULD all this issues be becuase I am opening as incoming only? (like from device to Computer and no both way communcation or is 2way the default for the comport in gambas?)

I don't know why the Write's didn't raise an error, but if you don't open FOR READ WRITE then nothing should be sent, so nothing could happen. There will be silence ... and by the way it's not the comport your code is talking to, its the gambas runtime and then some shared libraries and then the operating system and only then the com port (UART). IOW gambas has no concept of a comms port only a stream.
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

I'm using
RS232Scanner.open
Do I need to do it like
open RS232Scanner for read write