Using linux frame buffer with Gambas.

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
AndyGable

Using linux frame buffer with Gambas.

Post by AndyGable »

Hi everyone,

It is possible to run a Gambas application on the Linux frame buffer?

I can do this with my FreeBASIC application (I can start the program from a basic CLI and it shows graphics etc with no issues)

If a Gambas app can be run on a frame buffer how do I go about doing that?
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Using linux frame buffer with Gambas.

Post by cogier »

I had to look up what a Linux Framebuffer is! Gambas has a CLI scripting option. Exactly what are you trying to do?
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

cogier wrote: Saturday 6th November 2021 10:07am I had to look up what a Linux Framebuffer is! Gambas has a CLI scripting option. Exactly what are you trying to do?
What I would like it to have a application that I made with Gambas (Debian 11 and xfce) running on a oldish machine that has Debian 11 CLI operating system installed.

I want to remove everything that could slow the machine down (as it is only a 566mhz machine with 512mb ram)

When I was using FreeBASIC I could launch and run my application with out having to install a desktop.

The application is a simple app that connects to a database and provides a price check interface to customers. (The barcode scanner is controlled by a small screenless app that is written in Gambas as well)
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Ok that helps. You may need to add Gambas Scripter with sudo apt install gambas3-gb-scripter

You can then write your code in any text editor starting the code with #!/usr/bin/env gbs3. Make the code file 'Executable' and you are in business.

Have a look here for more details.