Windows 11

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
cogier
Site Admin

Windows 11

Post by cogier »

I have just installed Windows 11 as I am interested to see how the Linux integration is working, and I can report that for the most part it is quite good. I have managed to Pin Gambas to the Taskbar and run a couple of my programs.

Just thought it might be of interest..

Technopeasant

Re: Windows 11

Post by Technopeasant »

Does it require much setting up to get to work?
Technical director,
Piga Software
http://icculus.org/piga/
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Technopeasant wrote: Thursday 9th December 2021 4:18am Does it require much setting up to get to work?
This is from memory, so forgive me if I get it slightly wrong. This ONLY applies to Windows 11. You need to be connected to the internet.

Open the menu and search for CMD - Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
In the shell type wsl --install
I think this will also install Ubuntu as well, but if not you can get it from the Windows Store.
Close the Windows Command Prompt
Use the menu to find Ubuntu. This will open a Terminal session
In the Terminal, run sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get upgrade
In the Terminal, run the following to get Gambas stable installed. sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:gambas-team/gambas3 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install gambas3
In the Terminal, run gambas3

That should open Gambas. I am still finding out what can and can't be done. I have discovered that my ScreenShot program does not work due to the Form Property Transparent not working.
The rest I leave to you. 8-)
AlmaMatter

Post by AlmaMatter »

I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying Windows 11 and that the Linux integration is working well for you. It's always exciting to try out new software and see what new features it has to offer.
Have you checked out the reddit windows key community? They might have some more tips and tricks for you to try out with your new operating system. It's always great to connect with other users and see what they're doing with the software.
Keep us updated on your experience with Windows 11, and let us know if you come across any cool new features or discover any bugs!
Last edited by AlmaMatter on Monday 13th February 2023 3:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 »

cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

I got it to work on Win 11, but I don't use Windows at home. Even at work, I have a separate Linux machine. I just did it to see what it's like.

My advice would be if you want to run a Windows program, run it on Windows and Linux programs on Linux.
Technopeasant

Post by Technopeasant »

Upgraded my partner's machine the other weekend, including jumping from Windows 7 to 11, so I was finally able to give WSL2 a go.

It took only three commands to install WSL, containerized Ubuntu, and then Gambas.

Hardest part was that I had to update apt before it would install anything for some reason.

When in Rome, I decided to give Cygwin another go. I don't think I have tried since back when you had to build from source, so I was able to get it going this time just using the graphical installer, although knowing which packages I needed to install beyond Gambas itself could have been more intuitive. In the end, installing XFCE seemed to supply everything I needed.

It seems to run a bit slower than WSL, but I had fewer issues running applications through it (specifcally, the mouse tracking in OpenGL does not seem to work in WSL, in Gambas and in other apps).

Both measures ran most of my games quite satisfactorily.

https://pigalore.miraheze.org/wiki/Runn ... in_Windows
Technical director,
Piga Software
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Is the Ubuntu in wsl running x ?
If it's only Wayland then I could imagine things not working as expected like mouse polling and window positioning.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
Technopeasant

Post by Technopeasant »

That is an interesting suggestion, as Cygwin/X is indeed working for that.
Technical director,
Piga Software