use old runtime

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
sadams54

use old runtime

Post by sadams54 »

I have several gambas projects. I have not upgraded to 3.16 yet because I am afraid of breaking the project requiring 3.16 runtime. I think I saw it in here but can't find it. is there a way to force the project to use the 3.15 runtime even if I am using 3.16? I just want it to work for those that have not upgraded the runtime on their systems.
BruceSteers

Re: use old runtime

Post by BruceSteers »

sadams54 wrote: Tuesday 7th December 2021 1:41am I have several gambas projects. I have not upgraded to 3.16 yet because I am afraid of breaking the project requiring 3.16 runtime. I think I saw it in here but can't find it. is there a way to force the project to use the 3.15 runtime even if I am using 3.16? I just want it to work for those that have not upgraded the runtime on their systems.
you must do 2 things......

1) ensure the program made on 3.16 has no 3.16 only code so it is compatible with 3.15 runtimes.
Ie, if you use a command new to 3.16 then your application is bound to fail on 3.15 so only use older ways.
The easiest way to do this is to load them into 3.15 IDE occasionally and test them.

2) Add the Environment variable to your projects properties..
GB_PCODE_VERSION = 3.15

that will stop 3.15 throwing a ByteCode error when running the 3.16 project
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
sadams54

Re: use old runtime

Post by sadams54 »

I am aware of not using 3.16 code but thanks for warning.

That was exactly what I was looking for thank you so much