Gambas and the framebuffer

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
AndyGable

Gambas and the framebuffer

Post by AndyGable »

Hi everyone,

I have been thinking a lot recently about a issue I have had.

I have some software that I originally did in FreeBASIC and this could run with out any windows manager or X server installed (it used the Linux frame buffer)

Now I'm re doing the app into Gambas I am just wondering if I can replicate this function.

Can a Gambas application run using the Framebuffer (if so how do I tell the program to do that)
thatbruce

Re: Gambas and the framebuffer

Post by thatbruce »

Have a look at the lower level graphics libraries. like gb.cairo, gb.opengl, gb.sdl etc etc.
b
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

thatbruce wrote: Tuesday 1st March 2022 3:33pm Have a look at the lower level graphics libraries. like gb.cairo, gb.opengl, gb.sdl etc etc.
b
Thanks thatbruce,

If I did use the above ones does it mean I can not use the IDE to design the look of the application?
AMUR-WOLF

Post by AMUR-WOLF »

AndyGable wrote: Tuesday 1st March 2022 8:32pm If I did use the above ones does it mean I can not use the IDE to design the look of the application?
I think you are the first Gambas user in the world who wants to develop applications for framebuffer. If a computer can't run X server, ncurses is a perfect solution for user interface.
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

AMUR-WOLF wrote: Wednesday 2nd March 2022 10:06am
AndyGable wrote: Tuesday 1st March 2022 8:32pm If I did use the above ones does it mean I can not use the IDE to design the look of the application?
I think you are the first Gambas user in the world who wants to develop applications for framebuffer. If a computer can't run X server, ncurses is a perfect solution for user interface.
Sorry for being strange I am trying to work out the bet option for a Point of sale system (I need to lock it down so it can not be used as a normal PC) My problem is I am still figuring out Linux (I have managed to get my Data Sync application to download all data from the Server and then run in the background but yet to get it to sync data back to the server (work in progress))
AMUR-WOLF

Post by AMUR-WOLF »

AndyGable wrote: Wednesday 2nd March 2022 6:13pm Sorry for being strange I am trying to work out the bet option for a Point of sale system (I need to lock it down so it can not be used as a normal PC)
Do you develop POS on Gambas or POS is ready and run in framebuffer?

You can configure X server to serve a single application. The situation is known as "kiosk mode".

link1
link2
AndyGable

Post by AndyGable »

AMUR-WOLF wrote: Thursday 3rd March 2022 8:50am
AndyGable wrote: Wednesday 2nd March 2022 6:13pm Sorry for being strange I am trying to work out the bet option for a Point of sale system (I need to lock it down so it can not be used as a normal PC)
Do you develop POS on Gambas or POS is ready and run in framebuffer?

You can configure X server to serve a single application. The situation is known as "kiosk mode".

link1
link2
The PoS was orginally done in FreeBASIC but I struggled to get the graphic look of the program to be stable. but I have now migrated the
PoS to Gambas 3 (and I am working my way though all the new add on modules I need to make to support all the different hardware and Interfaces I need to use) (example interface is a Web call to my Card processing Service but I have no idea how to do this in Gambas yet)