[Solved] Attempted update blew Gambas away

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
issboss

[Solved] Attempted update blew Gambas away

Post by issboss »

I am currently running UBUNTU ver 16.04. Up until I tried to update Gambas, it ran just fine. The update process broke a bunch of stuff and now Gambas will not start, crashing the OS instead.

I've uninstalled Gambas completely and did a reboot. Now, using a terminal, I used the PPA to download a fresh copy. No luck. It won't install.

NOTE: There are certain pages of a website purporting to be of help, but they redirect to that nasty "fake Microsoft - your Windows has been locked" site. Funny, actually, when you consider I'm using LINUX.

Bill
Last edited by issboss on Thursday 17th October 2019 7:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired 20-year USN veteran. In IT field since 1961.
issboss

Re: Attempted update blew Gambas away

Post by issboss »

More info:

I tried another clear and reinstall. Now I get this:

bill@bill-UBU:~$ sudo apt install gambas3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gambas3 : Depends: gambas3-gb-gsl (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-gtk-opengl (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-mysql (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-opengl-glsl (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-opengl-glu (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-qt4-opengl (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-opengl-sge (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-pdf (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-gb-sdl (>= 3.14.0+git6274.5a9c391+build5.e8c7b97.11.1fbebd7~ubuntu14.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
bill@bill-UBU:~$

Not sure how to fix this.

Bill
issboss

Post by issboss »

Can anyone help me here? I have several projects I should get on with. I need to get Gambas running.

Bill
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Hi Bill,

One of your terminal messages said: -
Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I would start here. In terminal run each line on its own:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update –fix-missing
sudo dpkg –configure -a
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
If Gambas is still not working I suggest you uninstall it and reinstall:-

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -y remove gambas3
sudo apt-get -y install gambas3
Let us know how you get on.
issboss

Post by issboss »

Thanks, Cogier. I gave in to the nagging, so I'll give this a try right after the installation of version 18.04 finishes. This might also solve the problem.

I saw the references to 14.04 in the error messages. I'm wondering if it was because I installed Gambas3 during that OS version, then upgraded to 16.04 and now the OS is complaining that it has old packages (or broken 14.04 packages). Whatever. I'll get it fixed.

Bill
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Hey issboss,

I've had crazy issues in the past when attempting to upgrade Gambas (no issues with recent upgrades, though). I don't know if what I did will help your particular situation, but it resolved my problems. If I were in your situation, I'd upgrade to the latest Ubuntu first. But you may have reasons for not wanting to upgrade.

When I had my issue after an upgrade, my particular problem was that clicking on the Gambas icon did nothing. No IDE, no error messages, nothing. So I opened a terminal and entered gambas3 to start the IDE that way. It still didn't start, but gave me an error message that said "gbr3: unable to load component: gb.net."

This component did not appear in a search in the Synaptic Package Manager. After research, turns out the package this error was referring to in Synaptic is "gambas3-gb-net".

So what worked for me to fix my issue was:

1) In Synaptic, mark gambas3-gb-net for complete removal and apply changes. This also removes other components, such as gambas3 and that's fine. Let it do its thing.
2) In Synaptic, mark gambas3-gb-net for install and apply changes
3) In Synaptic, mark gambas3 for install and apply changes. It automatically installs all the prior uninstalled components.

After doing this, Gambas worked properly for me and I haven't had any issues with upgrading since. I hope this information assists you or helps to point you in the right direction to get everything working.

Best of luck.
issboss

Post by issboss »

Another good answer. Thanks, Godzilla. If the first try (above) doesn't work, then I'll go to yours. I am relatively new to the terminal methods of doing things so some help on the actual commands might be a good thing.

Bill
issboss

Post by issboss »

Okay. Here's the skinny.

The upgrade to 18.04 was bumpy, but it happened. I fixed a constant nag for libreoffice-SDBC-firebird, then tackled Gambas3.

The instruction I found https://www.linuxhelp.com/how-to-instal ... untu-18-04 worked perfectly and I am back up and running.

The GUI is not what I expected (less than thrilling and blocky) but it works well. The appearance may have to do with my chosen top-level of display.

My thanks to all who responded. In the immortal words of Ahnold: "I (might) be back."

Bill