Odd Console Warnings

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
issboss

Odd Console Warnings

Post by issboss »

I'm wondering if I have a setting wrong somewhere for Gambas 3.14.90. When I start a debug session and begin my application, I get warnings dumped onto my Concole panel. They are as follows:

(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:27:35: Junk at end of value for background-color
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:40:48: Junk at end of value for background-color
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:48:46: Junk at end of value for background-color
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:59:58: Junk at end of value for background-color
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:66:28: The :prelight pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :hover instead.
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:70:46: Junk at end of value for background-color
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:77:35: The :prelight pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :hover instead.
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:81:58: Junk at end of value for background-color
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:123:31: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:124:24: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:156:27: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:157:29: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:177:34: The :insensitive pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :disabled instead.
(Initialization:22434): Gtk-WARNING **: 18:22:17.864: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:199:34: The :inconsistent pseudo-class is deprecated. Use :indeterminate instead.

These will appear even with a new, totally blank window with no controls whatsoever.

I am currently using KUbuntu 18.04LTS with an XFCE desktop. Is this something i should be worried about for when I deploy whatever it is I'm building? I get these same warnings for each of my projects, so it has to be something in the Gambas settings or initialization. The wrong theme, or an incompatible theme perhaps?

Bill
Retired 20-year USN veteran. In IT field since 1961.
sjsepan

Re: Odd Console Warnings

Post by sjsepan »

I would guess it could be the theme. Maybe try switching some and see if it stops for certain ones?

I am running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.2, which is based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, so that may be getting close to your configuration. Besides Cinnamon, I have MATE and Xfce. Switching to the latter, I still don't see the bug when running a Gambas app using Gtk3, but that doesn't mean anything because I'm running an XP-styled theme. I tried Mint X, Mint Y and one of the many Xfce styles available in Settings menu|Appearance dialog|Styles tab, but maybe I should try the exact one you are using.
issboss

Post by issboss »

Thanks for the reply, SJSepan. In the past, when I've changed themes it always comes back with something changed that I can't get back to what it looked like before (if that makes any sense). They are warnings, and don't seem to affect the system when I compile to an executable and run it, so I am tempted to simply ignore them by clearing the console before every debug session. I know that doesn't do anything to the actual cause of the warnings though, but being a long-term (over 50 years) programmer I tend to leave things that don't matter alone.

I tend to agree with you as the warnings all have the "theme parsing error" in common, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else noticed them.

Bill
sjsepan

Post by sjsepan »

You're welcome. I understand that -- if the configuration is otherwise working you want to avoid messing with it. I agree that it will probably not appear on other systems, and that the issue can be shelved. I tend to give limited attention to warnings too, especially if everything else is working OK. In this case it sounds like something peculiar to the environment, and not Gambas, and might even get sorted out with future OS updates.

Steve
issboss wrote: Monday 18th November 2019 3:35pm Thanks for the reply, SJSepan. In the past, when I've changed themes it always comes back with something changed that I can't get back to what it looked like before (if that makes any sense). They are warnings, and don't seem to affect the system when I compile to an executable and run it, so I am tempted to simply ignore them by clearing the console before every debug session. I know that doesn't do anything to the actual cause of the warnings though, but being a long-term (over 50 years) programmer I tend to leave things that don't matter alone.

I tend to agree with you as the warnings all have the "theme parsing error" in common, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else noticed them.

Bill
gbWilly

Post by gbWilly »

Hi issboss,
They are warnings, and don't seem to affect the system when I compile to an executable and run it, so I am tempted to simply ignore them by clearing the console before every debug session. I know that doesn't do anything to the actual cause of the warnings though, but being a long-term (over 50 years) programmer I tend to leave things that don't matter alone.
Yes, simply ignore them is the proper attitude as this has nothing to do with Gambas and should not influence the workings of you applications.
Running different desktops might make them go away or give you a whole set of other messages. So why worry?
gbWilly
- Dutch translation for Gambas3
- Gambas wiki content contributer

... there is always a Catch if things go wrong!
issboss

Post by issboss »

My motto: If it works, don't <mess> with it.

Bill