Interface language [SOLVED].

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
Giorgos

Interface language [SOLVED].

Post by Giorgos »

Hi! :D

I just installed Gambas from repos.
How can I change the interface language to English (instead of my native language)?

PS. One option is giving "export LANG=C" before launching Gambas.
Any other, more straightforward option?

TIA! 8-)
G.
Last edited by Giorgos on Thursday 14th May 2020 6:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the glorious men, every land is a grave.
Thucydides "Pericles Funeral Oration".
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Interface language.

Post by cogier »

Hi Giorgos and welcome to the forum.

This is an interesting question so I tried various options inside Gambas but without success. However launching Gambas in Terminal with LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8 gambas3 (Once I had installed the French language packs!) launched Gambas in French. So I suggest you try launching Gambas with LANG=en_GB.UTF-8 gambas3 for British English or LANG=en_US.UTF-8 gambas3 for US English.
Giorgos

Re: Interface language.

Post by Giorgos »

THANKS Admin!
Really happy for joining you!!! :D

Indeed, this seems to be the most efficient way to do the language change.

However, it keeps giving me an XCB error message, for a missing en_US locale package (although it is installed):

Code: Select all

gbx3: warning: cannot switch to language 'en_GB.UTF-8': No such file or directory. Did you install the corresponding locale packages?
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 853, resource id: 39846181, major code: 40 (TranslateCoords), minor code: 0
Dunno why! :o

To avoid that, I went the bash script way.
Just a 2-liner bash script with a first line with language change to English and the second one for launching Gambas3. Maybe something like this (if you intend to double-click it):

export LANG=C
gambas3
I suppose in case you intend launching it from console, it needs an additional line, for restoring the original LANG value. Eg. something like this (for Greek lang):

export LANG=C
gambas3
export LANG=el_GR.UTF-8
THANKS AGAIN!!! 8-)
G.
For the glorious men, every land is a grave.
Thucydides "Pericles Funeral Oration".