Problems Installing

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
DFergFLA

Problems Installing

Post by DFergFLA »

I am trying to install Gambas, first time user, on Ubuntu 20.04. I have tried using the Ubuntu Store and downloading and using the install directions from the Gambas website.

Resultees:
In both cases Gambas goes through whatever install process it does. I don't get any errors of any kind. In the case of using the Ubuntu Store. If I click on the Gambas icon I get the spinning cursor for a min the nothing... no Gambas, no error.. nothing. I have rebooted. uninstalled, reinstalled, updated Ubuntu and still can't get Gambas to run.

I ran through the manual install ./reconfigure-all, ./configure, make install. all processes ran without giving me any problems. However, there is no Gambas when it is all done. Not that I could find anywhere to start the IDE.

I'm not off to a good start here.

HELP, please

Donald

p.s. also trying to find a beginners guide or something.
BruceSteers

Re: Problems Installing

Post by BruceSteers »

have you tried running from terminal to see if any error messages are going to stdout?
from a terminal/shell just type gambas3
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
DFergFLA

Post by DFergFLA »

I'll give that a try and post what happens.
DFergFLA

Post by DFergFLA »

Ok, I type gabmas3 in the terminal and get the following

"gbr3: unable to load component: gb.from.print"
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

If you have synaptic pakage manager i'd use that , type 'gambas' in the search field and see what's not selected.
this is a known issue i believe some gambas packages are missing when installed with ubuntu.
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Sorry have you added the gambas-team ppa's or just using the standard ubuntu package?
Edit . i did read the first post lol, that slipped my mind.

It's possible the uibuntu verison and latest ppa vesion are conflicting.
Try the following...
From terminal first completely remove all gambas stuff
type...
sudo apt-get purge gambas3*

Then load synaptic package manager and press the "Origin" tab
select the gambas-team ppa's from the list and install your gambas items from there.
BruceS
DFergFLA

Post by DFergFLA »

Ok, so that is done. and Gambas starts

I click on the Examples and I see "... click here to access the farm server and download them..." I do that and get..."Protocol "farm" is unknown.

I apricate your help. But Gambas is clearly not something I want to use. I have spent 3 hours just getting the IDE installed and running and now I can't even install the examples in order to learn how to use it. I will just go back to Lazarus. Sorry, but this experience has left me with not a very good first impression of Gambas. So, I will decline to proceed further with it.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

just click the Farm:// link , it loads the farm page , its a new incomplete feature, it does the same thing as clicking the "Software farm" tab.

Give it a chance m8 , gambas is great , sorry you had a glitch installing there but you might find it worth it.

You're up and running now , you've got the VERY latest version though so there's a couple of little things like that link you clicked not running yet but trust me i've been using gambas for years and i'd swear by it.

And also, with all my years of experience ,, i had the same issue when i installed the latest ppa version lol. :)

Plus we're all a friendly helpful bunch here :)
BruceS
DFergFLA

Post by DFergFLA »

Is there any documentation? Or is it just the examples?
DFergFLA

Post by DFergFLA »

Ya, I need some kind of documentation.

I just added a button to a form and I can't find the Caption property anywhere. But I can do "Button1.caption = "Hello World"" and that will work. I just don't think I want to have to set every caption on every control at runtime. So, I have to be missing something.