Gambas 3.15.2 Install - Pop!_OS

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
BruceSteers

Re: Gambas 3.15.2 Install - Pop!_OS

Post by BruceSteers »

it fails. not very descriptive so we can help.
post the file .. /home/username/gambas-compile-install.log
we can then see why it failed and maybe help.

you didn't have to rename the scripts just make them executable , or just run from a terminal.
and you defo didn't have to edit them to add pop.
when the first screen showed it will have detected ubuntu-latest and offered for you to type S if it did not recognise ubuntu-latest as your os (that is essentially what you have) and enter distro type , you should have just done that and selected ubuntu-latest if it didn't detect it.
the script does not know Pop or need to. LinuxMint detects as ubuntu okay and manjaro detects as archlinux ok. Pop should have detected as ubuntu-latest. change this and it won't work.

it then checks a file in the gambas source dir looking for the match of ubuntu-latest , if you've changed something it might break how it works.

If you have downloaded the correct dependencies for your distro then you may try compiling by hand.
in a terminal cd to the source dir and type the following
commands...
./reconf-all this MUST be run on first compilation to set up the compiling environment
./configure -C --disable-keyring --disable-qt4 has to be run to configure files for compilation.
(./configure will probably be the command that gives the errors needed to find why it's not working.)
make
sudo make install

Notes. only run the make install with sudo.
Bruce.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

when the first screen showed it will have detected ubuntu-latest and offered for you to type S if it did not recognise ubuntu-latest as your os
My apologies is does not auto detect Pop as ubuntu you would have to set it by simply pressing S on the first screen.

If you have set it wrong goto /home/username/.config/gambas-comipler.conf and delete it to reset

Bruce.
BruceS
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

BruceSteers wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 10:43pm it fails. not very descriptive so we can help.
post the file .. /home/username/gambas-compile-install.log
we can then see why it failed and maybe help.

you didn't have to rename the scripts just make them executable , or just run from a terminal.
when the first screen showed it will have detected ubuntu-latest and offered for you to type S if it did not recognise ubuntu-latest as your os (that is essentially what you have) and enter distro type , you should have just done that and selected ubuntu-latest if it didn't detect it.
the script does not know Pop or need to. LinuxMint detects as ubuntu okay and manjaro detects as archlinux ok. Pop should have detected as ubuntu-latest. change this and it won't work.

it then checks a file in the gambas source dir looking for the match of ubuntu-latest , if you've changed something it might break how it works.

If you have downloaded the correct dependencies for your distro then you may try compiling by hand.
in a terminal cd to the source dir and type the following
commands...
./reconf-all this MUST be run on first compilation to set up the compiling environment
./configure -C --disable-keyring --disable-qt4 has to be run to configure files for compilation.
(./configure will probably be the command that gives the errors needed to find why it's not working.)
make
sudo make install

Notes. only run the make install with sudo.
Bruce.
For whatever reason the board does not allow me to attach the log (or renamed to txt) file. It says it is invalid. :-(
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

It's okay fella I'm doing it myself.

I've downloaded and installed PopOS
installed synaptic
through synaptic i installed everything gambas (gambas 3.15.2)
(I did not add any ppa's just installed Pops default repo version)
It worked perfectly fine, no problems at all.

Questions..
Did you remove the gambas PPA?
If not then remove it. Pop has gambas 3.15.2 stable in the repo so no need for ppa unless you want to get the latest beta.
PPa is meant for ubuntu and Pop is not ubuntu, it's a copy and a poor one at that, doing things it's own way making standard ubuntu practices not work.. (unlike LinuxMint that works much like ubuntu)
(I do not know if it's possible to add ubuntu repositories to Pop? that might fix compiling/ppa issues)

Once you've removed the gambas PPA use apt-get purge gambas* to clear it.
then apt-get install -y gambas3* to install all components.

My steps...
I then uninstalled gambas using apt-get remove gambas*

As for running my script, it behaves the same way Manjaro does in the way you cannot launch a bash script just by double clicking it and selecting run in terminal.
So i opened a terminal and dragged the gambas3-update-compile-and-install script onto it and ran it.
as expected it did not know pop so i selected option 5 to select ubuntu-latest.

Installing dependencies.
deps failed to find lots of dependencies so until that's sorted it won't compile at all.
My initial thoughts on PopOS is it's rubbish. The repo is not very well updated compared to ubuntu that it's built on.
I'd suggest ditch it and get Mint or Ubuntu.

But if you do not want to then installing 3.15.2 from the repo is your best shot.

Steps..
Remove gambas PPA if added. easy to do with synaptic
from terminal
sudo apt-get purge gambas3*
sudo apt-get install gambas3*

if that does not work then you have seriously broken your linux somehow as it's working fine on my pop-os
I'd suggest a re-install of the os.

or one other option to clean gambas out before installing from repo.....

goto /usr/lib and delete the gambas3 folder if it exists
goto /usr/share and delete the gambas3 folder
looking in /usr/bin the only files beginning with gb are gambas files so..
sudo rm /usr/bin/gb*
sudo rm /usr/bin/gambas3

(or another option would be to cd to the gambas source dir you downloaded and type "sudo make uninstall")

Then if you have removed the PPA from your repository list
sudo apt-get install gambas3*
For whatever reason the board does not allow me to attach the log (or renamed to txt) file. It says it is invalid.
the board only accepts certain filetypes , zips are okay so in future just compress it. But no need to now as i've installed pop myself so i can see the errors. problem being many packages are not available on Pop.

Bruce
Last edited by BruceSteers on Wednesday 4th November 2020 1:21pm, edited 2 times in total.
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

I'm thinking your main issue is you added the PPA.
Like I said gambas 3.15.2 is in the PopOS repository so it's only going to confuse things.

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge gambas3*
sudo apt-get install gambas3

Hoping you get there fella. best of luck :)
BruceS
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

Yay! Thanks a lot Bruce!
I guess it was indeed lost/confused with the PPA. I removed it as per your steps and was able to install it!
Now the only thing (I actually got to this at one point) is the fact Gambas is showing version 3.14.3 and not the latest.
I believe (again, noobie here) it has to do with Pop not having the latest information on their repository so when it installs, it gets whatever they report as the latest and in this case, 3.14.3. Is that the case?
Now, not that I will touch it (LOL) but what is the way to upgrade this?

Thanks a lot for your perseverance! Even getting Pop!_OS loaded to test it, certainly way beyond what I would expect from anyone!
By the way the reason I use it, is the fact it always 'worked' for me, with every single piece of software I tried. Also my machine in this case is from System76 (the guys behind Pop), a Thelio one (great, beautiful hardware) and they tweak a lot of stuff for their hardware (i.e. power control with their own board, etc). Overall I must say it is an excellent experience, especially for someone not familiar with Linux. Even my wife's MacBook runs it and runs it flawlessly with all the hardware detected and with a much better battery life than OSX.

Thanks again! And let me know what the proper upgrade process is for Gambas3!

Cheers! :D
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

You're welcome fella , we're here to help :)

As for installing Pop, my script failing was an issue for me so i wanted to know why, it's no bother.

As for getting gambas 3.14 not 3.15 I suppose that's because i installed Pop 20.10 not 20.04.
I'd upgrade your Pop to upgrade gambas as Pop 20.10 has 3.15.2

Pretty sure compiling won't work as too many packages are missing from the Pop repo.

i don't know if the OS will upgrade with apt..
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
or..
sudo apt-get full-upgrade

Or download the latest Pop_OS 20.10 from system76 :)

Happy gambassing :)
BruceS