Gambas 3.15.2 Install - Pop!_OS

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
tsmvp

Gambas 3.15.2 Install - Pop!_OS

Post by tsmvp »

Ladies/Gents,

Gambas newbie here. No matter what, I cannot get the latest Gambas to install. I tried the following:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gambas-team/gambas3
sudo apt update
sudo apt-get install gambas3

I then get this:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
gambas3 : Depends: gambas3-gb-db-postgresql (>= 3.15.2+git6080.2c36245e4+build5.da1e7df.17.76493e1~ubuntu20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: gambas3-ide (>= 3.15.2+git6080.2c36245e4+build5.da1e7df.17.76493e1~ubuntu20.04.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I have no clue how to fix it. I mean I can see a library is missing and if I try to install that library manually it then tells me another library is missing, in this endless loop. For example:
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
gambas3-gb-db-postgresql : Depends: libpq5 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Any clues on how I can get it going?

Thanks a lot!

CR
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Gambas 3.15.2 Install - Pop!_OS

Post by cogier »

Hi tsmvp and welcome to the forum.

1/. Which version of Pop!_OS are you using 20.04 or 20.10?
2/. If you are using 20.04 did you try and install Gambas from the Pop!_OS repository ('Software center' or whatever Pop!_OS calls it?) before using the ppa?
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Hi.

try fixing apt broken packages.
sudo apt-get install --fix-broken

Also.
Try completely removing any previously installed gambas first..
sudo apt-get remove gambas3*

Also if you have added ppa when installing use synaptic and click the "Origin" tab and choose the added ppa and install gambas from there. not by command line. I've seen a command line 'apt-get install gambas3' get confused and try to install main repo files as well as the added ppa ones.
Good luck.
Bruce
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

cogier wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 4:58pm Hi tsmvp and welcome to the forum.

1/. Which version of Pop!_OS are you using 20.04 or 20.10?
2/. If you are using 20.04 did you try and install Gambas from the Pop!_OS repository ('Software center' or whatever Pop!_OS calls it?) before using the ppa?
The one in use, called Pop!_Shop does not even have Gambas. I am using 20.04.
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

BruceSteers wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 5:11pm Hi.

try fixing apt broken packages.
sudo apt-get install --fix-broken

Also.
Try completely removing any previously installed gambas first..
sudo apt-get remove gambas3*

Also if you have added ppa when installing use synaptic and click the "Origin" tab and choose the added ppa and install gambas from there. not by command line. I've seen a command line 'apt-get install gambas3' get confused and try to install main repo files as well as the added ppa ones.
Good luck.
Bruce
Thanks for the reply Bruce. I tried that and it seems to be 'clean' from a package perspective. When I try Synaptic, it complains about broken packages and gambas3 is listed when I look at the 'Custom Filters´ view. If I try to fix the broken packages using that option, it fails, throwing an error. The main issue seems to be with gambas3-ide that is a dependency but cannot be installed either.

Any additional ideas?
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

compile and install manually not using a package manager?

I wrote a script that eases downloading / compiling and installing the latest beta or stable gambas versions.

https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas3-compile-and-install

one script is for downloading and the other is for compiling.
It will install all the dependencies needed to compile gambas and run every command from ./reconf-all to 'sudo make install'

you can use the first script to download a clone from git or download an archive and unpack.
Or if you have already downloaded the source you can use the second compile and install script to install from any gitlab download.

for 3.15.2 just select the "stable" download not the beta.
And once it's started go make a cup of tea as it takes a while :)

Bruce
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

tsmvp wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 7:22pm Thanks for the reply Bruce. I tried that and it seems to be 'clean' from a package perspective. When I try Synaptic, it complains about broken packages and gambas3 is listed when I look at the 'Custom Filters´ view. If I try to fix the broken packages using that option, it fails, throwing an error. The main issue seems to be with gambas3-ide that is a dependency but cannot be installed either.

Any additional ideas?
it seems to be 'clean' from a package perspective. When I try Synaptic, it complains about broken packages and gambas3 is listed when I look at the 'Custom Filters´ view
Wait, hang on ,, now that does not make sense.
"Seems to be clean but gambas is listed? then i guess it's not clean."

did you run
sudo apt-get remove gambas3* (important the asterix at the end)
or
sudo apt-get purge gambas3*

Bruce.
BruceS
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

BruceSteers wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 8:42pm
tsmvp wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 7:22pm Thanks for the reply Bruce. I tried that and it seems to be 'clean' from a package perspective. When I try Synaptic, it complains about broken packages and gambas3 is listed when I look at the 'Custom Filters´ view. If I try to fix the broken packages using that option, it fails, throwing an error. The main issue seems to be with gambas3-ide that is a dependency but cannot be installed either.

Any additional ideas?
it seems to be 'clean' from a package perspective. When I try Synaptic, it complains about broken packages and gambas3 is listed when I look at the 'Custom Filters´ view
Wait, hang on ,, now that does not make sense.
"Seems to be clean but gambas is listed? then i guess it's not clean."

did you run
sudo apt-get remove gambas3* (important the asterix at the end)
or
sudo apt-get purge gambas3*

Bruce.
Yep, I tried all that. No go.
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

BruceSteers wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 8:15pm compile and install manually not using a package manager?

I wrote a script that eases downloading / compiling and installing the latest beta or stable gambas versions.

It will install all the dependencies needed to compile gambas and run every command from ./reconf-all to 'sudo make install'

you can use the first script to download a clone from git or download an archive and unpack.
Or if you have already downloaded the source you can use the second compile and install script to install from any gitlab download.

Bruce
Ok I downloaded both scripts. As I am not that familiar with the Linux shell, I assume I have to rename them to .SH and then do a CHMOD.
Tried that and it seemed to download it.
Now I am running the build script.
In both I had to edit the script as the lsb_release -is command returns "Pop". So I entered "Pop" on your list and copied the code that checks for "ubuntu". Once I did that both scripts ran.
The compile script detected several things missing and asked if I wanted to reconfigure. I said yes (a for all). It is now doing its thing. Not sure if it will work at the end but fingers crossed. I will let you know if that worked.

Thanks!
tsmvp

Post by tsmvp »

BruceSteers wrote: Tuesday 3rd November 2020 8:15pm compile and install manually not using a package manager?

Bruce
No go. Just tried to compile and it fails.