More thoughts on Gambas Help

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
stevedee

Re: More thoughts on Gambas Help

Post by stevedee »

grayghost4 wrote: Monday 28th December 2020 10:27pm It is a very nice and use full program ... Thanks
You are very welcome!

The last change I made was to add a Find on page button, so download again if your version does not have this.
The zoom should also include the left hand panel as well ... I just had cataract surgery in the first eye and it is very hard to read small print.
I did go into the program and change the font to a larger size.
I didn't make very much effort with the presentation of this display (i.e. its not resizable and it probably only suits my laptop screen) but of course you have the power to customise to suit your needs. I hope that when all surgery has been completed and your vision has settled down, your eye sight will be as good as it was 20 years ago. I think I'm also heading for cataract surgery, but as I'm currently going though a few cycles of chemo, my dim eyes may be temporary...let's hope so.
Now I just have to figure out how to add it to my Gnome desktop.
You may have an easy way to do this on your distro, but its worth knowing how to do this manually.

Create a new blank file on your desktop and call it gambas-helper.desktop. (the name of this file is not important, but the extension has to be .desktop (lower-case).

Paste in this text initially:-

Code: Select all

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Gambas Helper
Comment=My Little Gambas Helper
Exec=/home/steve/Gambas/HelpBrowser/HelpBrowser.gambas
Icon=/usr/share/icons/Pepirus/48x48/categories/help-browser.svg
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Development;
Now edit the Exec line to suit the location of: HelpBrowser.gambas on your system

Now edit the Icon line to suit your chosen desktop icon. This can be any icon you chose, so start by taking a look through these locations:-

Code: Select all

/usr/share/pixmaps/
/usr/share/icons/
Now save the file (again, to the desktop) and double-click on it to see if it launches.
If it works; great, if it doesn't; come right back to me.

If you copy this launcher file (gambas-helper.gambas) to: /usr/share/applications/ it should appear in you programs menu under Development

Note that in the file manager, the file name appears without its .desktop extension (which can be confusing).

And you can add to, or change the Categories= line if you want this somewhere else in your menu structure.

I hope this helps.
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

I've been experimenting with search engines and have now added MetaGer as this seems to give the most number of results, although it is quite slow in dishing up results.

I have not included Google, Bing or any search engine that requires you to sign in or accept cookies!
But obviously you are free to add whatever you like.

The file download link in post #1 has been updated.
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

One more point I've just noticed:-
If I search the Gambas wiki with the key-word "collection" the MetaGer search engine out-performs DuckDuckGo.
But if I use the key-word "csvfile" then DDG out-performs MetaGer.

Strange but true!
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Hi Steve, I have modified the program to resize. Hope it helps.
HelpBrowser-1.1.tar.gz
(29.02 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
stevedee

Post by stevedee »

cogier wrote: Sunday 3rd January 2021 1:28pm ...I have modified the program to resize...
Many thanks Charlie.

Wishing you a Happy New Year!