Hello fellow Gambasers

Feel free to talk about non programming issues here.
PartierSP

Hello fellow Gambasers

Post by PartierSP »

Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Mike. I found this place by way of Sevedee. He has some great example code on his blog which helped me out. I'm currently working on a little project using Gambas to control my 3D printer I just got last month. I'll be posting it here later.

About me, started programming BASIC back in the late 70s/early 80s. Then switched to VB in the 90s.

By the turn of the century I left VB behind as I got into PHP and mySQL (this suited the network based programs I were working much better and I also drifted off of Windows by that time too).

Over the years I've tried various languages to try and write GUI based programs for Linux. But with my background, none really seemed as straightforward as Gambas does.

So here we are today. I've been dabbling with Gambas off and on over the last few years. I haven't done anything really serious with it. But it's all for fun. And to me that's what computers/tech is all about. ;)
stevedee

Re: Hello fellow Gambasers

Post by stevedee »

PartierSP wrote: Tuesday 30th November 2021 12:57am Thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Mike. I found this place by way of Stevedee...
Hello Mike (again) and welcome to the friendliest forum on the internet.

Your software path seems to have run in parallel with mine in many ways, and I look forward to taking a look at your 3D Printer code.

Charlie (cogier) and jornmo have done a great job with this site and have included a useful code highlighting feature; when you use the gb button and post code between the gb tags, the code is coloured to highlight keywords & so on, making the code easier to read than code displayed in black text.

Also let me plug "My Little Gambas Helper" which you may find useful for finding Gambas information in general: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=995
PartierSP

Re: Hello fellow Gambasers

Post by PartierSP »

Thanks Steve.

I had some time last night and was reading through the Did You Know thread and wow! So many little tricks I didn't know.

I downloaded your 'Little Helper' just before bed last night. I'm definitely going to give it a good run to check it out. I did like you're Duck Duck Go search. Unless I'm on my phone, I barely ever actually 'Googled' anything any more. I'll 'Duck' it instead. :P

I do miss the days of the massive programming manuals. But the official manuals for software have all gone the way of the dodos. Now we're left with online help manuals which I find difficult to stumble onto available features.