Renting a VPS

Feel free to talk about non programming issues here.
gbWilly

Renting a VPS

Post by gbWilly »

Hi all,

I'm looking to rent a VPS. I want to revamp my 'How to Gambas' and 'Gambas Learning' projects as they kind of ended when Sholzy quit hosting the Whiteislands forum.
I have a lot of spare time atm. since I recently lost my job.
Sidenote: I actually worked for a company where I setup a Debian (serverside)/Linux Mint (client side) based environment and made custom software for them using Gambas and Mariadb. Won't be easy to find that again.

Back to the VPS. I have done quite some browsing the net looking for what is possible.
Now there is a lot on the market to rent. Of course I'm looking to set up a linux based server (I prefer Debian) and I might even start experimenting with some Gambas based website.

Does any of you have any experience with renting a VPS? Can you advise me on a company that has good price/quality ratio. Or some hints for good hosters.
I'm based in Europe so guess I prefer having my VPS based in Europe as well.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Last edited by gbWilly on Saturday 9th July 2022 2:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbWilly
- Dutch translation for Gambas3
- Gambas wiki content contributer

... there is always a Catch if things go wrong!
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Renting a VPS

Post by cogier »

Have a look here. This is what is used on Gambas.One for the Playground and Farm. You can get started for free here. I am not affiliated to them just a customer.

I notice they are looking for staff here.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

I'd be on board.

Not sure how Benoit does it but he says he just rents a server. (i could ask)

I'd be happy to split costs on a server with working gambas installed.

Charlie, do you know much about the digital ocean droplets, ie can all non-gui gambas components be used or at least the web components?
Does anyone?
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Charlie, do you know much about the digital ocean droplets, ie can all non-gui gambas components be used or at least the web components?
The cost for me is about $6.00 a month for a "droplet" (£5.00), this depends on usage. As far as I know, all Gambas non-GUI components will work, not sure about the web components. They will give you $100.00 free to use over 60 days, so you have nothing to lose. Click on the links in my last post.
gbWilly

Post by gbWilly »

Thanks for the info Cogier.
The cost for me is about $6.00 a month for a "droplet" (£5.00), this depends on usage
As I understand a 'droplet' is a VPS. They advertise with fixed amounts, so how does usage influence your cost?

Do you have full root access to your VPS 'droplet' so you can install whatever you would like? I mean are you 100% free to configure and install whatever you think you need in the same manner as you would on a physical server you would run at home?

How is the uptime of your Droplet and the service of the hepdesk when in trouble?

Thanks
gbWilly
- Dutch translation for Gambas3
- Gambas wiki content contributer

... there is always a Catch if things go wrong!
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

cogier wrote: Saturday 9th July 2022 4:42pm
The cost for me is about $6.00 a month for a "droplet" (£5.00), this depends on usage. As far as I know, all Gambas non-GUI components will work, not sure about the web components. They will give you $100.00 free to use over 60 days, so you have nothing to lose. Click on the links in my last post.
Did you click the "refer a friend" link for us to use? might be a bonus in it for you
BruceS
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Did you click the "refer a friend" link for us to use? might be a bonus in it for you
Here is the link:-
https://m.do.co/c/94fd514c5643
Do you have full root access to your VPS 'droplet' so you can install whatever you would like? I mean are you 100% free to configure and install whatever you think you need in the same manner as you would on a physical server you would run at home?
Yes, you have full access. You can install any of the main Distros, we chose Ubuntu so that we could use the Gambas ppa.
How is the uptime of your Droplet and the service of the hepdesk when in trouble?
Uptime has been 100% as far as I know, and we have not had to use the helpdesk.

Here is the prompt: -

BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Right, so it works and works good :)
Thanks Charlie
Here's a banner link for others (with your referral code)

Looks like if someone signs up via your referral then after they've spent $25 you get $25 :)
BruceS