Hello, I'm a new user , got a few progs :)

Feel free to talk about non programming issues here.
BruceSteers

Hello, I'm a new user , got a few progs :)

Post by BruceSteers »

Hi all
I'm Bruce

I'm new here but not new to Gambas

I've mostly joined as i have a few handy progs i wish to put somewhere.
Gambas one seems a good place to start.

to list the "useful" ones there are..

asq ; a simple message requester like using 'zenity --question' that can have up to 6 buttons

GrubHack : like it says , edits some grub features and menu, add picture (plus a converter for grub compliance saves as 1024x768 .tga image if you need (needs imagemagick))
Menu Items can be deleted, rearranged and default option set as well as timeout.

Iconify: simple (VERY simple) icon maker using gambas PictureBox control, can adjust size from 16x16 to 128x128

MediaPlay: This lists a folder I have containing a selection of TV shows, i can set shows to be watched in sequential order or randomly, if sequential it stores and increments the episode number , if random it randomly selects and stores a list of watched shows to avoid repeats then clears when all have been seen.

PiTemp: simple little Raspberry Pi temp monitor window, just reads in the thermal temp file and displays it, adjustable check time, hide/show border/titlebar, change colours (would have used SystemTray component but couldn't get it to work)

pkAppMan: This is my answer to the lack of GKSU now.
with this you can easily add programs (like gbr3) the the policy_kit list of pkexec allowable apps. and then easily create launchers for gui apps that need root access using 'pkexec gbr3 path/to/app.gambas'. This also worked for getting balena etcher working on my Debian rig (that and installing ffmpeg).

Shareama: simple Samba config file editor for adding folders to the network

SubTitleMan: simple subtitle .srt file manager, made to check for errors in time code (overlaps/too long/etc) , made before i realised most linux distros have pretty good subtitle managers already haha.

Wav2mp3: made as I make music and and often wanting to convert my wavs to mp3's, settable output folder / bitrate (will add more) derives album/artist name from parent folders or can be set to something.

Some need a little more error handling added to be ready for the public but some handy apps there.

Will upload apps/code somewhere soon and provide links.

Stay well all :)
Bruce Steers
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
cage

Re: Hello, I'm a new user , got a few progs :)

Post by cage »

Welcome to Gambas One. This is a great place to share projects and get help when needed. It will be interesting to see your projects.
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Hi BruceSteers and welcome. :D

Please upload your programs to the 'Project Showcase' section of the forum.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Thanks.

Will get some of them "showcase" ready.

The Wav2mp3 App will be a good showcase I think as i've just managed to get it to check if it's already running and issue commands to the existing process to handle instead of opening multiple times.

Ie. Before when i selected 4 files on the desktop and right click "Open with Wav2mp3" it was launching the program 4 times simultaneously.
Now the first (lowest pid) becomes the working app and creates a listening server socket while the other 3 started programs just send the filenames to the socket and quit.

figuring out how to issue commands to the app from outside the app will open up some options for me now i think :)

Gotta clean the code up a bit and add some comments,
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS