Creating a library

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
BruceSteers

Re: Creating a library

Post by BruceSteers »

Aah hang on. i think i understand. It's probably an issue with a QT only system.
you probably need to use gb.gui.qt not gb.gui or something.

The other bruce will know about these problems better as he also uses a QT only system.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
Median Joe

Post by Median Joe »

Thanks Bruce. Compiling from source means I don't need to install backports, which can be risky. I haven't done it yet but I'll let you know if I get any problems. As I said, I don't need the gtk libs but no harm in having them I guess.
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

And one other "noice" thing about compiling from source is that it is entirely "package hell" free. I got so sick of "you cant install that because you haven't installed
* gambas.xxx.yyy.zzz.alpha_plural_z.rpthnigo/dbpk_umlaut" stuff. Package installation is OK for the unbaptised but not if you really want to learn, use, grow, get surprising errors etc

Oh and another tiny little thing is that it also let's you (ahem) play around a bit, perhaps better said as "experiment", with Gambas itself. But noooo :o , no-one would want to do that would they? (No-one specifically in mind but their first name might (or might not) accidentally rhyme with the first name of someone quite close to me.

regards,
no-one in particular (rhymes with "obtuse", "Dr Seuss", "fruit loops" (and apparently with a bit of imagination) "soups")

p.s. Has anyone (else) wondered why the packager emits so many un-needed debian files? I'll get back to you-all later. Maybe 3-5 days, before the end of the month or Christmas or so, definitely before 2028.
(How's that for a "project manager" effort estimate!)
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

Median Joe wrote: Wednesday 23rd November 2022 9:07am Thanks Bruce. Compiling from source means I don't need to install backports, which can be risky. I haven't done it yet but I'll let you know if I get any problems. As I said, I don't need the gtk libs but no harm in having them I guess.
To be serious. :o Go for it, if you have even the slightest of problems, take two aspirin and call back in the morning with a small sample (by which I mean what distro, what you tried and a very short last 13 lines of the terminal output).
Common mistakes include
* not reading https://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install?nh&l=en page until your eyes bleed
* not having the entire build stack for your distro installed (this has caught me out a few times)
* using a distro that is not exactly designed for developers, just for the great unwashed (Mint leaps to mind)
* not understanding that you need the library source headers, not just the libraries themselves

Good luck, don't panic, phone home....
rgrds
thatbruce
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".