way off topic

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
sadams54

way off topic

Post by sadams54 »

I love the gambas IDE it is great it is easy to use and powerful. It has spoiled me. Now what I am trying to find is the same kind of IDE for C++ that includes the ability to compile. Anybody got a suggestion? What usually shoots down the IDE I look at is not being able to design a user interface graphically. So that is number one important.
Cedron

Re: way off topic

Post by Cedron »

Well, it would be a bit of a challenge, but you could write a Gambas program that reads .form files, extracts the definitional data, then write it out in your target platform's format. Thus design your forms in Gambas, run your program, then go add the C++ code in the other IDE, if I am understanding you issue correctly.
.... and carry a big stick!
sadams54

Post by sadams54 »

nope, you are way off understanding. I do not want to put together the forms in gambas then port them around by chanting around a fire at midnight and sacrificing a live chicken to the moon god. I am looking for a fully functional IDE for C++ similar to what we have in gambas that allows us to easily write.

Which is one reason I said "way off topic"
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Perhaps you should ask about it on a forum made for c programmers?

Then your post wouldn't be way off topic and you could post it in a general questions area and not an off topic area. Oh wait..

🤔
😉 Haha
Just joking
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
sadams54

Post by sadams54 »

i have considered that but they will not know what the gambas IDE is or anything about it.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

sadams54 wrote: Tuesday 31st January 2023 1:00am i have considered that but they will not know what the gambas IDE is or anything about it.
But IDE stands for "Integrated Development Environment".
That is what gambas is and what you are looking for but with C,
I think they will understand you if you say a C IDE.

I just think you'll have more chance of finding info about a C IDE in a C forum than you will a gambas one.

It's like asking questions about your VW beetle in a Fiat group.
BruceS
Cedron

Post by Cedron »

sadams54 wrote: Monday 30th January 2023 10:29pm nope, you are way off understanding. I do not want to put together the forms in gambas then port them around by chanting around a fire at midnight and sacrificing a live chicken to the moon god. I am looking for a fully functional IDE for C++ similar to what we have in gambas that allows us to easily write.

Which is one reason I said "way off topic"
Well, if I knew of one, I would have mentioned it. A Rube Goldberg reference would have been less imaginative, I've been to parties that like that.*

It surprised me that one does not exist for Python either. And I presume you have ruled out the MS Visual Studio offerings. I'm not familiar with those, but I thought I saw somewhere there were Linux versions.

Personally, I like to put my C++ code in shared libraries. (You need to use the EXTERN keyword to prevent name mangling and make the top level C like to call it from Gambas or Python.) I'll post examples upon request.

*Nah, not like that, but I've been to some pretty good barbecues out in the country.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

I get a few results from apt...

Code: Select all

apt-cache search "development environment"
I recall once looking around and trying some but couldn't find anything as wonderful as gambas.
The fact a lot of the gambas IDE and it's components are written in gambas is amazing to me.
It makes the whole environment highly customizable. I love that.
My gambas IDE is different to anyone else's (i think better)
Nobody's gambas IDE has an "External tools" feature similar to pluma text editor..... but mine does and i use it often ;)

I guess really any IDE, if you can get the source, can be modified but i doubt as easily as gambas
BruceS
Cedron

Post by Cedron »

Alright, it took a bit of searching, but here was my solution to be able to edit C/C++ files within the editor and simulate as though it was built into the IDE. From your functional requirements specification, this should hit the spot.

You still have to do the top layer in Gambas though, and it takes a few more declarations to establish a subroutine, but other than that, this "simulates" having C in the IDE.

Auto-Compiling Shared Libraries: viewtopic.php?p=1591

More than 500 downloads, wow.

Then here are a couple more I wrote about shared libraries, didn't look any further than the one I was looking for above.

Shared Library: FFTW Wrapper: viewtopic.php?p=1593

Calling FORTRAN Shared Libraries from Gambas: viewtopic.php?p=1562
sadams54

Post by sadams54 »

problem with most of the C++ IDE's is that they do not support graphical creation of a user interface. That is the main issue. in Gambas we can draw it out and then program but not found one like that for C++. I did look at the MS stuff but they seem intent on making things very difficult and that is just how they do things. Look at VS for basic in microsoft versus the amazing simplicity and power in Gambas. It is like MS is stuck in the mindset of CoBOL where it takes a page of code to produce a line on the screen. I had hoped that the Gambas developers were using something like that and they would share the secret. Mostly I want to be able to compile programs and free them from interpreters.

I appreciate everybody chiming in and seeing if they had help. I am being picky and spoiled in that I want the same ease of Gambas in my IDE.