Linux Mint Users - Upgrade to 21.1 Vera - FYI

Feel free to talk about non programming issues here.
Quincunxian

Linux Mint Users - Upgrade to 21.1 Vera - FYI

Post by Quincunxian »

Greetings all - For any Mint users.

I opted to upgrade from Mint 20 to Mint 21.1 and the upgrade process asked me to 'downgrade' my current version of Gambas to 'the previous version as it may cause issues'?
It would not upgrade until I had resolved this. (I was on the standard stable version from the ppa installation gambas-team)

Not really knowing how to do this downgrade, I fully uninstalled Gambas to get the upgrade to work.
After the upgrade, I reinstalled Gambas from the ppa gambas-teams and all worked as expected.

The only issue I experienced was that collapsing of code in the editor did not work, but this has been an ongoing and intermittent issue so expect it will resolve itself in due course.

The only other things to note was that my apatche2 service failed to start due to an error, which turned out to be the upgrade pushed my php version from 7.4 to 8.1.
Cheers - Quin.
I code therefore I am
BruceSteers

Re: Linux Mint Users - Upgrade to 21.1 Vera - FYI

Post by BruceSteers »

Cheers for the info.

I upgraded 2 of my machines a little while ago but I do not use the apt gambas I compile and had no gambas issues at all.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

The upgrade to Mint 21.1 raised issues with me as well. I had to uninstall Gambas, then reinstall it from the ppa after the update.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Quincunxian wrote: Saturday 18th March 2023 1:29am Greetings all - For any Mint users.

The only issue I experienced was that collapsing of code in the editor did not work, but this has been an ongoing and intermittent issue so expect it will resolve itself in due course.
Have you tried using the IDE the old way? (using QT instead of gtk3) , it might fix the problem. i have no problems with procedure collapsing the way i do it, but maybe you do it differently as there are probably different ways.
there were various issues people had when Benoit first changed the IDE from using qt to gtk3 , most issues were something to do with keyboard/mouse functions that used to do something and did not anymore.
Most though are because of how the toolkits work differently, and most problems resolved by the people using the IDE with QT instead as this had the behaviors they were used to.
BruceS
gbWilly

Post by gbWilly »

BruceSteers wrote: Saturday 18th March 2023 11:03pm Have you tried using the IDE the old way? (using QT instead of gtk3) , it might fix the problem. i have no problems with procedure collapsing the way i do it, but maybe you do it differently as there are probably different ways.
I have expierienced trouble with the IDe as well in more recent versions, thinking is was bugs that would be resolved. Reading that Benoît has changed IDE from Qt to GTK explains a lot.

I use only QT in my own projects because GTK simply gives too much trouble that QT doesn't. I wonder why Benoît chose to change this as it use to work fine. I'm more of a "If it ain't broke don't fix it guy", so the change makes no sense to me.

What I wonder is how do I change the IDE to use QT?
gbWilly
- Dutch translation for Gambas3
- Gambas wiki content contributer

... there is always a Catch if things go wrong!
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

gbWilly wrote: Thursday 11th May 2023 4:15pm
BruceSteers wrote: Saturday 18th March 2023 11:03pm Have you tried using the IDE the old way? (using QT instead of gtk3) , it might fix the problem. i have no problems with procedure collapsing the way i do it, but maybe you do it differently as there are probably different ways.
I have expierienced trouble with the IDe as well in more recent versions, thinking is was bugs that would be resolved. Reading that Benoît has changed IDE from Qt to GTK explains a lot.

I use only QT in my own projects because GTK simply gives too much trouble that QT doesn't. I wonder why Benoît chose to change this as it use to work fine. I'm more of a "If it ain't broke don't fix it guy", so the change makes no sense to me.

What I wonder is how do I change the IDE to use QT?
Thanks to yours truly the gambas desktop icon has actions to choose different gui , if you create a launcher on a panel it shows when you right click it..
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (74.15 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
or modify your launcher icon/menu command from this...
gambas3
to this...
env GB_GUI=gb.gui.qt gambas3
or...
env GB_GUI=gb.qt5 gambas3

or if you have the source to the IDE load the IDE into the IDE and remove gb.gui for gb.qt5 or something then make executable and copy it to /usr/bin
:)
BruceS
gbWilly

Post by gbWilly »

Thanks, that worked smoothly and the IDE now works as should.
Good to know.
gbWilly
- Dutch translation for Gambas3
- Gambas wiki content contributer

... there is always a Catch if things go wrong!