OrangePI Ubuntu Loads but any component drop in GUI crashe

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
axisdj

OrangePI Ubuntu Loads but any component drop in GUI crashe

Post by axisdj »

Hello,

I am running a Orange Pi 3 LTS SBC, loaded thier provided Ubuntu Image (3.0.6) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... omOqFFqt1k and Installed Gambas

I also installed wayland which was required for Gamabas to start.

So I can see Gambas ide, select project type, but when I go to a form and drop a graphical component the IDE crashes with no message.

They have a debian image might I have better luck with that? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
BruceSteers

Re: OrangePI Ubuntu Loads but any component drop in GUI crashe

Post by BruceSteers »

axisdj wrote: Thursday 13th April 2023 11:44pm Hello,

I am running a Orange Pi 3 LTS SBC, loaded thier provided Ubuntu Image (3.0.6) https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... omOqFFqt1k and Installed Gambas

I also installed wayland which was required for Gamabas to start.

So I can see Gambas ide, select project type, but when I go to a form and drop a graphical component the IDE crashes with no message.

They have a debian image might I have better luck with that? Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?
Well you absolutely do not have to install wayland to get gambas to start.

My guess is you are using gnome or something that uses wayland and you had to install some kind of wayland component.

My suggestions...
either dump wayland and use an x11 desktop (gnome on xorg or MATE or Cinnamon)

or install all the x-wayland packages to get gambas working better with wayland,

gambas is not good with wayland, because wayland sucks.

for Debian you will have to compile gambas as PPA will not work.

Are you using latest gambas from Launchpad PPA or the ubuntu repository version?
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
axisdj

Post by axisdj »

thank you for the reply.. it was very informative.

I realized tonight I did not install the Desktop version of ubuntu ( i was using server image ) so all is well now. Gambas installed and worked as expected.

Very exciting for me...

Thank you again. Now for converting some of my vb6 classes and doing some test apps
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

"gambas is not good with wayland, because wayland sucks."
Gotta save that one !
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".