Anyone using dot notation with strings?

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
JumpyVB

Anyone using dot notation with strings?

Post by JumpyVB »

If I declare a String and ask for it's length in dot notation, the ascii version of the function is used - I find this unexpected! What's the logic behind this? Is the reason historical and related to backwards compatibility?
  Dim TmpStr As String = "Benoît"
  Print "String.Len() = " & String.Len(TmpStr) '6
  Print "Len() = " & Len(TmpStr) '7
  Print ".Len = " & TmpStr.Len '7 !!?? I would have expected the UTF8-version of the len function to be used here. 
If I start typing .Left on gambas code editor, then a help window will pop up (http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/lang/left) stating the following: "This function only deals with ASCII strings. To manipulate UTF-8 strings, use the String.Left class." But if I start typing .Len, then no such warning is shown on the help screen (https://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb/_boxedstring/len).
BruceSteers

Re: Anyone using dot notation with strings?

Post by BruceSteers »

Yeah if you want to deal with non ASCII strings use String class static methods.

Len(TmpStr) is not a static gb.util/String.class method it's a built in function like Mid() and InStr().

If you think something should be added to a wiki page ,,, add it 😉
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

I believe that Bruce is trying to say that declaring a variable as a String is not the same as using the String class even though it is in the gb component.'
The gb.String class is a set of static utility functions to specifically handle UTF character strings, a String variable is a "normal" ASCII string.
Since gb.String is essentially a static "class" i.e. it has no visible attributes, you cannot declare an object of that type, as is clearly indicated by the "This class is static." comment in the wiki.
I see no need for any changes to the wiki.
hth
bruce
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

I guess it comes down to Len() being a built in function and String.Len() being in the "handler of utf-8 strings" String.class from gb.util

With your logic then theoretically also Mid() and InStr(), etc would be expected to work UTF-8 strings too?

But no I think it makes sense.

As it stands Mid(), InStr(), Len(), etc are all for plain ascii
String.Mid(), String.InStr(), String.Len(), etc are all for UTF-8

Respects
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

But if I start typing .Len, then no such warning is shown on the help screen (https://gambaswiki.org/wiki/comp/gb/_boxedstring/len).
I have added the same warning to the Wiki. This should show up in a day or 2.