Where to find examples? (Plus intro)

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
PyPyPy

Where to find examples? (Plus intro)

Post by PyPyPy »

hello all! I have just transitioned 100% to Linux and (trying to) enjoy Gambas, it looks fantastic IMHO... Ive programmed in many languages over the last 3 decades, VB6 is the one I have the most experience in...

The Gambas interface is native and friendly to me.... The thing I desire the most is finishing a project regardless of how that is accomplished (IDE, language, etc..)

I am looking for a collection of examples that I may examine so I can get a firm hold of how to use the form controls, etc..

Also, when I make a project folder in the beginning, I dont see any of my code... only the compiled executable... where is my code?

Thanks much...
Andrew
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Where to find examples? (Plus intro)

Post by cogier »

Welcome to the forum.
I am looking for a collection of examples that I may examine so I can get a firm hold of how to use the form controls, etc..
You can look at the Gambas Farm where anyone can upload programs and examples.
Also, when I make a project folder in the beginning, I dont see any of my code... only the compiled executable... where is my code?
This is because all the program files are in hidden folders. Without knowing which File Manager you're using, I can't tell you how to show hidden files, but you could try [Ctrl]+H or [Ctrl]+. once this is sorted you will see your files: -
PyPyPy

Post by PyPyPy »

Awesome! Thank you!

1) I registered for access at gambasfarm, waiting on confirmation email now...

2) Ahhh.... I had no idea there were other hidden folders that my code was in, using Mint/Nemo I did show hidden files and there they are! Thanks!

Andrew
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

there's also some examples here on the gambas wiki...

plus lots of examples here on the forum in the project and component showcase

plus many small examples in posts so searching the forum can often point you to a discussion where various examples can be given :)
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

plus much can be learned using the auto-complete feature of the IDE

For example type

Me.

and when you press the dot a popup appears giving all the properties in a list and help on much of them :)

gambas is different to vb , it will take time but I also migrated from .net many years ago and have never looked back.

gambas is by far the easiest oop language with the best IDE i found.
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

And don't forget the gambas wiki

https://gambaswiki.org/wiki/
BruceS
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

And when you read the wiki help on the language, read every word. (This is the greatest advice I can give any new user.) The wiki is succinct on purpose and very accurate (generally).
When I first started using gambas over 12 years ago I printed out a large sign to put on the wall above my screen saying just that, read every word. Sometimes even today I feel it should still be there.
b
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".