Gambus Project Backup to USB

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
PeteMarsh

Gambus Project Backup to USB

Post by PeteMarsh »

OK - This is going to sound like the easiest question, but I've got a long way writing a Gambas 3 App - it's getting to the point of being valuable so i decided it was time to back it up away from the PI I'm using. Maybe naively I just inserted a memory stick and tried to drag the project folder across to it. No deal - just wont copy over. I had set up a folder under home/Pi/ called "Gambas Projects" and my projects appear in this folder, but when I open the project folder I can see the Graphics for the project in there, but no forms or anything that looks like the program side of things. I can happily copy the graphics to my memory stick, but that's how I got them on the Pi in the first place so not much use.

There must be a simple way to backup my efforts without having to clone the SD card, but I cant see it. I'm sure others would love to know the trick.

Thanks in anticipation.
BruceSteers

Re: Gambus Project Backup to USB

Post by BruceSteers »

To put it simply,, Ctrl-H :)

before dragging a folder press Ctrl-H to "Show all files"

Some desktops do not copy hidden files/folders in a drag event unless they are visible.

also try Ctrl-H to show all files in the copied folder to see if it really is empty.

Or use the IDE menus...
File/Save project As
or "Project/Make source archive"

possibly even right click folder and select "Make archive", the archiver will probably include all the files.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
PeteMarsh

Re: Gambus Project Backup to USB

Post by PeteMarsh »

Thanks Bruce, More Linux than Gambas probably. Once i had typed control H i could see that i had already saved the files, just couldn't see them. Strange that there is no indication whilst moving the files - unless it's just that quick there isn't time.

I have tried to use "Save As" from Gambas, and that works fine, although tracking down my thumb drive under media/Pi took me a little while - again, Linux, not Gambas.

Anyway, Thanks again - another few seconds of arc on the learning curve.