Could we PLEASE get implemented the ability to store project on a mounted location?

Questions and info about the Gambas IDE itself and not what you are making with it.
(not bug reports)
AndrewZabar

Could we PLEASE get implemented the ability to store project on a mounted location?

Post by AndrewZabar »

Greetings,
For a while I have been dealing with one problem or another while trying to successfully use my fstab to map a network share to a folder on the local filesystem - almost exclusively for GAMBAS. It's one of the few applications that I have which restrict you to the local file system in the dialog box when choosing a project location. I have seen this same in the occasional other software, but none have been important enough for me. I like all my actual work projects documents etc to be saved on my fault-tolerant NAS server. I frankly don't know anyone who doesn't do this, unless it's automatically synced to the server as a backup.

So... could we get this to be allowed? I am constantly running into privilege problems with the way I am mapping my network share, and hopefully I will get it resolved eventually, but I don't know why the dialog box where you choose where to save the project location, is this restrictive, allowing only local file system. Most software I use has a dialog box that has the bookmarks and saved shares, mounted locations etc. as seen in my file browser apps such as Dolphin and Thunar.

So... how about it? Could this be done please?
FYI I requested this a few years ago, but have not heard anything so I thought maybe I would make the request again.
PJBlack

Re: Could we PLEASE get implemented the ability to store project on a mounted location?

Post by PJBlack »

i think i did not understand what you want ...

gambas can use every mounted filesystem ... i have all my development stuff on my nas and it works fine!
AndrewZabar

Re: Could we PLEASE get implemented the ability to store project on a mounted location?

Post by AndrewZabar »

Only if it is mounted into a local folder. I would like to be able to use it via SMB protocol, going directly to the share.
sadams54

Post by sadams54 »

AndrewZabar wrote: Saturday 20th April 2024 5:57pm Only if it is mounted into a local folder. I would like to be able to use it via SMB protocol, going directly to the share.
that is not how it works. SMB connects with network shares and puts them into a local empty folder so the OS can easily manage things. Otherwise you'd need special support in everything to connect to a share. Windoze does the same thing except instead of a folder it create a virtual drive that the OS thinks is physically connected. Shares in windoze will be D: E: F: G: etc which is no different than how Linux handles it using a directory. So windows does not have "direct connection" either. Nor does Mac.

If it helps, you are going directly to a share using SMB but it is presented to the OS as a local folder. Just map the drive to a folder and you will have what you seek.

If you have fstab issues then show me the fstab line that is a problem and I will fix it for you and show you how.

I have fstab set and I do GAMBAS programming from several location because my files are stored on a linux server and mapped to each computer.
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

I think you misunderstood my response.
As it happens, I got the fstab working properly. But the issue would still be there if I had not.
If one does not use fstab to mount the smb share within a local folder, where would you browse in the file dialog in order to access a network share? It only shows the local file system. I may not be familiar enough with Linux inner workings to know this stuff, that's a possibility. Regardless, I got the fstab working so I can work the project in my home folder ~/netshares/myshare/folder etc. I just remain curious how you access the share without this.
sadams54

Post by sadams54 »

AndrewZabar wrote: Wednesday 24th April 2024 4:40pm I think you misunderstood my response.
As it happens, I got the fstab working properly. But the issue would still be there if I had not.
If one does not use fstab to mount the smb share within a local folder, where would you browse in the file dialog in order to access a network share? It only shows the local file system. I may not be familiar enough with Linux inner workings to know this stuff, that's a possibility. Regardless, I got the fstab working so I can work the project in my home folder ~/netshares/myshare/folder etc. I just remain curious how you access the share without this.
perhaps I did not make it clear. YOU DO NOT. This is how the access is done. Just like in windoze you would use something like N: for a drive which is a network share. Your computer sees it as a local folder. if you want to access like... //192.168.1.111/MyShare well it does not work that way. It can't. You have to be able to log in and verify the user accessing and that is done when mounting. otherwise you'd have to authenticate the user multiple times each access and would require every program to have it's own ability to access the share. It would quickly become untenable. Each time you access it would require finding out what permissions are there and would slow things down to a crawl.

No operating system give you direct access to the share the way I think you are asking. They all mount the share someplace and then you access it like a local folder. Even back in the days of Novell it was that way.

I hope I made clear how and why it works this way and to be clear, YOU CAN'T DO WHAT YOU ARE ASKING. not unless you want to rewrite the TCP/IP and network handlers in Linux Kernel.

if you are having permission issues then set permission for the folders and files you have problems with to 0777 with chmod
PJBlack

Post by PJBlack »

AndrewZabar wrote: Wednesday 24th April 2024 4:40pm... If one does not use fstab ...

you have absolutely no idea how unix/linux works, do you?
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

You are definitely not understanding what I am saying. It is okay though, as I have it working now.
I understand everything you are saying and not disputing any of it. I was referring to accessing an already mounted share the way some other apps do, such as VNC, media player and others.
It's fine, no worries.
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

PJBlack wrote: Thursday 25th April 2024 10:17am
AndrewZabar wrote: Wednesday 24th April 2024 4:40pm... If one does not use fstab ...

you have absolutely no idea how unix/linux works, do you?
I am not a guru, but I understand a good deal. I am not wording my comments very well, though.
But the smarmy condescension is totally appreciated big "ell oh ell"
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

You know we are not the gambas development team right?
We don't make gambas and can't do anything about what you are asking.

If you want gambas to do something different like show Network folders you should ask the main developer.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS