Which event is in use

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
gambafeliz

Which event is in use

Post by gambafeliz »

I have a FMain and other Form1 into the panel what is your parent, a GridView into the Form1 and I do the following:

1. I scroll the gridview with the mouse wheel and we can see that the rows move.
2. I have a KeyPress Event on the Form1 to detect that you press ESC. But when I scroll, and then press ESC I don't detect the ESC press on the Form1.

Where is the event at that time? Can someone tell me what I can do to find out?
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
gambafeliz

Re: Which event is in use

Post by gambafeliz »

I have observed that FMain receives the ESC but how do I return ESC to Form1 without the user noticing.

Can I forward ESC from FMain to Form1 somehow? any other good solution?
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Can you post an example program, so we can see what you mean.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

If you are in the FMain Form_KeyPress() event handler then all the Key.class info is live so you could just call the Form_KeyPress() event in Form1.
(providing they both use Form_Keypress())
In FMain you should be able to do this..
Public Sub Form_KeyPress()

Form1.Form_KeyPress()

End
Public methods with an underscore are hidden from other classes in the IDE auto-complete but they can still be used.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

It seems that your proposal works.

But I return the focus to Form1 from FMain's KeyPress and then do...

with Desktop.SendKeys in FMain but I don't know how to send ESCAPE, any idea about it. Thanks.
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

Hey BruceS your proposal is amazing :)
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

gambafeliz wrote: Thursday 10th November 2022 6:10pm It seems that your proposal works.

But I return the focus to Form1 from FMain's KeyPress and then do...

with Desktop.SendKeys in FMain but I don't know how to send ESCAPE, any idea about it. Thanks.
SendKeys should not be needed Because the Key class is valid.
Ie.
in the FMain Form_KeyPress() event if Key.Code = Key.Esc and you call the Fom1.Form_KeyPress() method then Key.Code will be the same as you are still inside the FMain KeyPress event.
gambafeliz wrote: Thursday 10th November 2022 6:14pm Hey BruceS your proposal is amazing :)
cool , glad it works.
Another option is to not let Form1 loose focus.
pressing a button on another form looses the form1 focus so it no longer gets the keypress event , so you could call Form1.SetFocus after any button click on the other form that steals the focus to put it back.
BruceS
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

But prevent me from stealing the Esc keystroke? give me an example

I tell you because I press Esc but at that moment I don't know what receives it, let's say the parent and not Form1 as I expected.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

gambafeliz wrote: Thursday 10th November 2022 6:55pm But prevent me from stealing the Esc keystroke? give me an example

I tell you because I press Esc but at that moment I don't know what receives it, let's say the parent and not Form1 as I expected.
It's about what has focus.

If you press a button or any other control that is on FMain then that control has the focus and so does FMain.
So a keypress then goes to FMain Keypress event.

If you press a control on Form1 then Form1 has focus.

So if you have a button on FMain called, btnDoSomething it should do this..

Public Sub btnDoSomething_Click()

' run some code

Form1.SetFocus ' return focus to Form1 when finished

End
Or if you need to monitor the escape key during the function reset the focus first

Public Sub btnDoSomething_Click()

Form1.SetFocus ' return focus to Form1 before starting

' run some code

End

Maybe you have it working okay, this was just an alternative suggestion.
BruceS
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

Hello

First thank you all for your help. Thanks.

I'll tell you in summary:

The Form1.Form_KeyPress() proposal works but something mysterious is going on that I can't figure out. I tell you but without providing code.

I load data into a GridView and when I click on a row it reloads this GridView with another query. And when I hit ESC I go back to the previous query and load it into the same GridView. Since I remember these queries, I load them into a String array and remove or add queries based on Click or Esc.

The problem is that when I use Form1.Form_KeyPress() in FMain, it works but when it repeats the KeyPress() code in Form1, although I follow it and see that it does everything right, the GridView freezes with the data it had, and it doesn't I don't know where I don't know what happens with the data I upload.

My solution: When Esc is lost and stolen by FMain instead of using Form1.Form_KeyPress(), I use Form1.SetFocus() but this has another problem and that is that the user's Esc key is lost, and I have no choice but to to make the user think that he did not press well and when he repeats Esc then everything is fine, but this for me is a rookie mistake.

What is your opinion? Thanks.