I have a big problem with the help in the Gambas IDE

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
gambafeliz

I have a big problem with the help in the Gambas IDE

Post by gambafeliz »

I have a big problem with the help in the Gambas IDE version 3.15.2

The problem is that I have the offline help but when I need it and I'm offline whenever I double click + Ctrl on an instruction I get the help saying "This page does not exist" and I have gone to preferences and it always says that I should update the manual, I do, but it doesn't resolve.

Does anyone know how I can enjoy the complete manual offline?

Thank you
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
thatbruce

Re: I have a big problem with the help in the Gambas IDE

Post by thatbruce »

Hmm, strange it works perfectly here.
Have you tried selecting the word, i.e. by a normal double click on it and then pressing F2?

If that doesn't work I guess you could try deleting ~/.local/share/gambas3/wiki (or some safer approach like renaming it) and then download it again.
If ~/.local/share/gambas3/wiki doesn't exist, then you haven't actually downloaded it or have larger problems :o

tb
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

gambafeliz wrote: Wednesday 16th November 2022 9:02am I have a big problem with the help in the Gambas IDE version 3.15.2

The problem is that I have the offline help but when I need it and I'm offline whenever I double click + Ctrl on an instruction I get the help saying "This page does not exist" and I have gone to preferences and it always says that I should update the manual, I do, but it doesn't resolve.

Does anyone know how I can enjoy the complete manual offline?

Thank you
How do you update the manual?
It can be misleading when you update as when you press "update manual" the buttons become disabled and then seems to be done.
But it is not finished, it actually takes quite some time to download and unpack in the background. (a whole 7min 30sec for me)

I just pressed mine and the "Update documentation" button stayed disabled and nothing happened for a whole 6 minutes before the install progress bar appeared and it started to install the data.
It then took another 1min 30sec to install.

Try pressing update but do not close the ide till the red "New documentation available" changes to "Documentation is up to date" and the progress bar disappears.

Also try the "Clear documentation cache" button first.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

thatbruce
Thank you I think it has been more or less resolved thanks to your route indication to see if there is the help of gambas3. My help is incomplete and I have retrieved it from a folder called wiki~ although it is still not very good in my opinion. The ideal is to download the file with all the folders that I don't know where it is on the internet and unzip it in the path that you have indicated.

Thank you.

BruceSteers
Thank you too, but what you tell me I have already tried and it is not the problem, perhaps it is the initial answer, but I have to try to continue studying my case. Because the truth is that Gambas3 offline without help is a turd of a dog. And sorry for my expression.

What I said if someone tells me where to download it and then restore it to your site then thanks.
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

Have you tried setting the help files for offline? Tools>Preferences>Help & applications

thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

You're not trying to download it and read it in an external browser are you?
That won't work. Because the "pages" are markup not html.
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

Thank you, cogier, thatbruce

cogier
I have well configured the offline help, the problem is that it is very, very incomplete.

thatbruce
No, I always use it with Ctrl + two mouse clicks and now I have learned thanks to you double click + F2 but as I always say within the Gambas3 development IDE, this did not happen in Debian 10, now I have Debian 11 and Gambas3 is installed with a higher version but a disaster for a newbie not to have the help correctly when you don't have internet connection. And for me in particular, it is how I develop that I am always without internet so as not to procrastinate.

Thank you and please don't abandon this thread and let's solve my problem, thank you.

At the moment what I ask is if someone knows how to download the help manually to manually install the help.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

the offline help is not as complete as the online wiki

a lot of the help is not even in the wiki it is in the class files themselves.
'' 2 single quotes at the start of comments before a method/property/etc
'' like i'm doing here makes the text appear in the auto-complete.
A lot of that help is not in the wiki.
What downloads to $HOME/.local/share/gambas3/wiki is all there is that downloads.
the rest of the wiki is auto generated from the class files.

but there always seems to be more at http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/

PS. the huge difference between gambas on deb 10 and 11 is that the gambas IDE changed from using QT to using GTK3 by default. (Deb 10 only used gambas 3.12 by default)
Both toolkits have different behaviors and the change caused a few issues with various people who had gotten used to any QT feature that gtk3 lacked. the solution for them was to force the gambas IDE to use QT by setting the GB_GUI env
Eg.
change the command...
gambas3
to...
env GB_GUI=gb.qt5 gambas3
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
thatbruce

Post by thatbruce »

BruceSteers wrote: Saturday 19th November 2022 2:03am the offline help is not as complete as the online wiki

a lot of the help is not even in the wiki it is in the class files themselves.
I've not noticed that, can you give an example.
b
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

BruceSteers

As usual for me, you're right, how strange isn't it? :)

1. I apologize to Debian users with Gambas3, BruceSteers is right, I was driven by passion with Gambas3 in my early days with Debian 10 and I said that everything was fine in Debian 10 when it's the same in Debian 11. Sorry.

2. After digging deeper, I have observed that Gambas3's help is very poor, at least in Spanish. This makes Prawns smaller to enjoy.

3. Honestly if you think like me in programming. If one puts a functionality in Gambas3 as OffLine Help and it is poor and even disastrous, in my opinion it is a big mistake, and we must put the same passion in developing it well and optimally as developing any functionality or class in our own code. don't you think so?

4. BruceSteers, due to the language difference, I have not understood very well your explanation of the help in the Gambas3 Classes. And I'm not sure if what you told me is a trick to get more help, and I haven't even figured out how to try that trick. Would you be so kind to explain it to me again or with a good example to reproduce it. Thanks.

Thank you BruceSteers, you truly are a well of wisdom.