I have detected a minor bug in the Gambas IDE version 3.15.2

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

It reproduces like this:

We create a panel in the code and we put pnl1 in it and we refer to pnl1 in a subroutine. Now we create a panel in the graphical interface with the same name. Gambas creates it. Now when we change the name of the panel in the graphical interface, it also changes it in the panel by code.

When you compile everything, Gambas detects the problem but doesn't know how to solve it and reports an error. And he lets the code run.
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
BruceSteers

Re: I have detected a minor bug in the Gambas IDE version 3.15.2

Post by BruceSteers »

When you change a name of an object in the ide it auto changes instances of the object name in your code, this is a feature not a bug.

Plus 3.15 is old so no bugs will get fixed. Bugs only get fixed in the latest version.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

I know and you're right. When we change the name of an object the IDE changes this name in the code.

But something happened to me that the IDE should have anticipated with a notice to the programmer.

1. I create a totally different object but with a name X and by code.
2. Later, months later, I create an object of a different type (from the tools, graphically) but the same name and the IDE allows it without further ado. This is for me the Bug.

The IDE should have told me that there is an object by code that has the same name. Finally, deduce it yourself.

And if I understand that my IDE is deprecated. But it was to comment to those who use a current operating system like me but with the standard update frequency.

Thank you.
For your misfortunes I am Spanish and I only know Spanish, please, be patient with me, Thank you. :)
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

Coding your gui by hand and using the ide are different.

You can't expect gambas to handle every mistake you make.

Gambas "Form designer" designs the form and checks your naming against other names in the form designer. (Not your class)

If you think it's a bug you should get on the gambas bug tracker and report it to the developers.

Or just be more carefull with names. 😎
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
gambafeliz

Post by gambafeliz »

BruceSteers wrote: Sunday 27th November 2022 11:21am Coding your gui by hand and using the ide are different.

You can't expect gambas to handle every mistake you make.

Gambas "Form designer" designs the form and checks your naming against other names in the form designer. (Not your class)

If you think it's a bug you should get on the gambas bug tracker and report it to the developers.

Or just be more carefull with names. 😎
Believe me with all the respect you deserve. And with all the respect and admiration that I have to the gods of Olympus who are the developers of Gambas IDE and language. It is undoubtedly a mistake. But let it be clear that Gambas IDE detects it but does not solve it before it occurs, it only reports the problem after, that indicates that someone figured it out but, let's say, had to write enough code to prevent it from happening in real time programming.

But hey, I'm not going to report it because it's a mess for me, and I don't think the gods even pay attention to me, I'm that ant who doesn't even know how to speak English.

Just kidding, nothing was to inform you and I create a mini debate.

Greetings and happy Sunday.