I recreated one of the first programs I ever wrote.

So you have written that new, must have program. Let us see it here.
rokyed

I recreated one of the first programs I ever wrote.

Post by rokyed »

Hello :)

I recreated one of the first programs I ever wrote with Visual Basic 6, also being one of the first programs I ever made, back in 2007 - 2008.

I made the code publicly available here: https://github.com/rokyed/lucky7-gambas

TLDR;
While searching the web for Visual Basic 6 as of a nostalgic recollection. I stumbled on Gambas 3 which blew my mind away, as it feels so much like Visual Basic 6, I now know that the original author of Gambas doesn't want it to be Visual Basic and I totally respect that!!

After now 7 years of professional experience, I'm trying to remember how to use properly Basic for Gambas 3. I don't know yet what use I might have for Gambas, but eh, it sparks a joy in me, to do some code as a hobby in it.

I will continue to explore and figure out how and if I can contribute, I know right now is too early, but I can see this project on the scale of Scratch where kids can learn it and become proficient programmers.
TLDR end;

Thank you very much!! Hope you like it.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-12-03 00-39-18.png
Screenshot from 2022-12-03 00-39-18.png (365.41 KiB) Viewed 4227 times
cogier
Site Admin

Re: I recreated one of the first programs I ever wrote.

Post by cogier »

Hi rokyed and welcome to the forum.

I had a look at your program, it does the job, but I felt there were a few additions I could add to help you on your way with Gambas. Download available below. Feel free to keep or ignore any changes.

I have made the form fully resizeable. Note that if you have a single instruction in an If statement, you can do it all on one line.

If (life <= 0) Then 
    Return
  End If
  ''Can become 
  If (life <= 0) Then Return

lucky7-CO-0.0.1.tar.gz
(12.6 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
rokyed

Re: I recreated one of the first programs I ever wrote.

Post by rokyed »

cogier wrote: Saturday 3rd December 2022 12:17pm Hi rokyed and welcome to the forum.

I had a look at your program, it does the job, but I felt there were a few additions I could add to help you on your way with Gambas. Download available below. Feel free to keep or ignore any changes.

I have made the form fully resizeable. Note that if you have a single instruction in an If statement, you can do it all on one line.

If (life <= 0) Then 
    Return
  End If
  ''Can become 
  If (life <= 0) Then Return

lucky7-CO-0.0.1.tar.gz
Very nice!! I can barely remember basic :) VB6 used to have anchors but I didn't look at how that works in Gambas.