using Gambas for single board pc Appliance

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
axisdj

using Gambas for single board pc Appliance

Post by axisdj »

Hello,

I am a 20 year vb6 devloper. I am looking into creating a specialized control appliance with a low cost SBC running Linux.

Some of the requirements are a web server (that serves a web interface) and some simple serial communication.

I will probably develop on an ARM SBC with hdmi connection but ultimately run the app as console app.

Is this possible with Gambas?

thanks!
cogier
Site Admin

Re: using Gambas for single board pc Appliance

Post by cogier »

I can only speak for the Raspberry Pi which runs Gambas without issue. If you install the recommend OS you can install Gambas from the command line. Provided your program is not too processor intensive it will run just fine.
axisdj

Post by axisdj »

Thanks for the response.

I have spent most of the weekend trying to figure out how to proceed. obviously this week will get a Linux SBC install gambas and start learning

I have seen how the web apllication works, although having a tough time understanding how I would get my console app to do this.

the Idea I had was a console app running all the time, and a web user interface that allows me to control various functions of this console app. The console app will be playing back lighting control data to a serial port ( adapted from my vb6 app).

Would the two apps need to talk to each other through tcp or maybe shared memory?

any further enlightenment would be welcome, Hope my question is clear enough.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

axisdj wrote: Monday 10th April 2023 4:18am Thanks for the response.

I have spent most of the weekend trying to figure out how to proceed. obviously this week will get a Linux SBC install gambas and start learning

I have seen how the web apllication works, although having a tough time understanding how I would get my console app to do this.

the Idea I had was a console app running all the time, and a web user interface that allows me to control various functions of this console app. The console app will be playing back lighting control data to a serial port ( adapted from my vb6 app).

Would the two apps need to talk to each other through tcp or maybe shared memory?

any further enlightenment would be welcome, Hope my question is clear enough.
You will have a few options

you could set up a web server on the pc board then use gb.web to make a web application running on the server.

If it was me i think i'd try something like this...

On the pc board main system have a controller command running that is listening to a socket address (gb.net).

then the web server has a page that has links/checkboxes/whatever to the socket address to perform the functions

then clicking things sends messages to the socket address via the urls or via post
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
axisdj

Post by axisdj »

Is there a way to have the webserver live inside the computation console app and not be separate?

to review I need a console app that does lighting control calculations and send them out via network or serial port, but I want the user interface for that console app to be a dynamic webpage that is hosted and served from that console app.