Enhanced treeview sorting

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
thatbruce

Enhanced treeview sorting

Post by thatbruce »

I'm looking for some ideas here.

To put it at its' simplest, the TreeView sort just sorts on the text of each node. What I'd like in this situation (of a very large tree) is to enable the user to sort the tree based on some attribute of the nodes. So the first idea is to add a buttonbox to the proposed control that has a filter menu that would enable different sorting keys. That was not hard. But now, how to implement the sort?

My second idea is to override the _treeview._treeview_item class with something more sophisticated. That looks difficult in terms of a solution.

Third thought, override the treeview.Sort mechanism. But there doesn't seem to be an access to that?

Any thoughts?
tia
b
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".
BruceSteers

Re: Enhanced treeview sorting

Post by BruceSteers »

thatbruce wrote: Sunday 11th June 2023 11:08am I'm looking for some ideas here.

To put it at its' simplest, the TreeView sort just sorts on the text of each node. What I'd like in this situation (of a very large tree) is to enable the user to sort the tree based on some attribute of the nodes. So the first idea is to add a buttonbox to the proposed control that has a filter menu that would enable different sorting keys. That was not hard. But now, how to implement the sort?

My second idea is to override the _treeview._treeview_item class with something more sophisticated. That looks difficult in terms of a solution.

Third thought, override the treeview.Sort mechanism. But there doesn't seem to be an access to that?

Any thoughts?
tia
b

I have not tried it but what about TreeView1_BeforeSort() event?

If you use Stop Event will it stop the automatic sorting and let you do it manually?

EDIT: aah i just studied the source, seems BeforeSort does not cancel anything :(

the code does this...
Raise BeforeSort

It should do this to be an event that can be cancelled..
Dim bCancel As Boolean = Raise BeforeSort
If bCancel Then Return

There's quite a few events/methods to try to override in _TreeView.class (with underscore)
https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas/-/blob ... View.class

like GridView_Sort() for one could be worth trying.

Good luck
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
thatbruce

Re: Enhanced treeview sorting

Post by thatbruce »

mmmm lots to absorb there.

thanks for the goodluck wish :)
Have you ever noticed that software is never advertised using the adjective "spreadable".