Cannot get it running on Debian 12

New to Gambas? Post your questions here. No question is too silly or too simple.
AndrewZabar

Cannot get it running on Debian 12

Post by AndrewZabar »

Hi all,
I’m not brand new but fairly new. Have not yet finished an app. Just reformatted my laptop and installed the software. When I try to run it, it sort of runs but vanishes before I can even see a window. I’ve tried installing from more than one system - eg: from Discover, from apt, and I believe also either a snap or flatpak version.

Basically, I have it running on PopOS, and Elementary 7, but on Debian 12 it just does not work. I’ve tried doing every component install separately as a batch (I found a forum post with that suggestion).

Any ideas?
cogier
Site Admin

Re: Cannot get it running on Debian 12

Post by cogier »

Welcome to the forum.

If you run 'gambas3' in terminal, do you get any errors? If so, can you post them.
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

I will attempt. I think there was a message last I tried but I was half asleep. Will follow up soon.
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

First of all, I need to ask because this seems to be an issue sometimes with software: I installed it via the Discover app. Some software I have seen there, as well as via apt command, as well as a download from the website of the software. I have encountered situations where one does not flag the other that it's installed, and problems ensue if reinstall needs to be done, or update etc.

But onto this:

command issued (###s replace my dir prompt for posting):

########~$ gambas3
gb.gui: warning: 'gb.qt5' component not found, using 'gb.gtk3' instead

** OOPS! INTERNAL ERROR. Program aborting, sorry! :-(
** Cannot find interface of library 'gb.gtk3.wayland'
** ERROR: #27: Cannot load component 'gb.gtk3.wayland': cannot find component
** Please send a bug report to the gambas bugtracker [1] or to the gambas mailing-list [2].
** [1] http://gambaswiki.org/bugtracker
** [2] https://lists.gambas-basic.org/listinfo/user

They're polite, at least :)

So... what's up here?
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

First of all, I need to ask because this seems to be an issue sometimes with software: I installed it via the Discover app.
I'm sorry I know nothing about the 'Discovery app'.

I was interested in the fact that Debian now uses Wayland. It seems a bit new for the stable Distro that Debian normally portrays, I use Linux Mint and there is no sign of Wayland yet.

It seems that the Gambas package you got did not consider this and so did not install Wayland support. You need to install this support with: -

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -y install gb.gtk3.wayland
If after this you get any more errors of missing packages, repeat the above with the correct package name.

Let us know how you get on.
AndrewZabar

Post by AndrewZabar »

I just wanted to follow up that I am changing that computer from Debian back to Pop. This was only one of a dozen problems I could not deal with on Bookworm.
cogier
Site Admin

Post by cogier »

That sounds better but be aware that the Ubuntu version of Gambas has its issues. I suggest you use the ppa to install Gambas. The following command will do it all for you.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:gambas-team/gambas3 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y install gambas3
ask4nix

Post by ask4nix »

Sorry, a bit late to this post, and my response is probably not helpful to you if you have abandoned Debian 12. Anyway for what it's worth, Gambas works just fine for me in Debian 12 on two different laptops a 13y-old Dell Vostro 5460 and a much newer Dell 5515 Ryzen edition running MX Linux (KDE version) and Sparky Linux 7 (KDE version), both based on Debian 12. It also runs just fine under Debian testing on the Dell 5515 Ryzen. But there is a problem when installing Gambas in Debian.
The command:
sudo apt install gambas3
doesn't install all gambas packages.
I use Synaptic to look for and install those that haven't been installed by default.
I use the Qt5 toolkit in all my projects, and for some reason, the default install misses a lot of the qt web based packages. You have to install them individually.
Hope this is helpful to others who might be contemplating Debian 12.
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

i usually just do this...

sudo apt install "gambas3*"

by default just installing gambas3 only install the ide and some basic components, not all of it.
the whole lot is only a 30mb download so gambas3* (with asterisk) installs it all in one go

glad you got it all installed okay.
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
BruceSteers

Post by BruceSteers »

But i compile from source because i have modified my gambas IDE in many ways,
check out some of my changes here: https://gitlab.com/bsteers4/gambas/-/bl ... type=heads

to compile the latest stable version in debian 12 you just need these commands....
http://gambaswiki.org/wiki/install#t10

# update apt and install dependencies for compiling
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential g++ automake autoconf libbz2-dev libzstd-dev default-libmysqlclient-dev unixodbc-dev libpq-dev libsqlite3-dev libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev libgtkglext1-dev libpcre3-dev libsdl-sound1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev librsvg2-dev libpoppler-dev libpoppler-glib-dev libpoppler-private-dev libpoppler-cpp-dev libasound2-dev libdirectfb-dev libxtst-dev libffi-dev libglew-dev libimlib2-dev libv4l-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev linux-libc-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libcairo2-dev libgsl-dev libncurses5-dev libgmime-3.0-dev libalure-dev libgmp-dev libgtk-3-dev libsdl2-dev libsdl2-mixer-dev libsdl2-ttf-dev libsdl2-image-dev sane-utils libdumb1-dev libqt5opengl5-dev libqt5svg5-dev libqt5webkit5-dev libqt5x11extras5-dev qtbase5-dev qtwebengine5-dev libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev git libssl-dev

# download the source..
cd ~
git clone --depth=1 --branch=stable https://gitlab.com/gambas/gambas.git gambas-source
cd gambas-source

./reconf-all

./configure -C --disable-keyring --disable-sqlite2 --disable-qt4

make -j$(nproc)

# if all went well remove apt gambas and install

sudo apt remove gambas3*

sudo make install

If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS