Inquire firefox

Post your Gambas programming questions here.
sadams54

Inquire firefox

Post by sadams54 »

I have been looking for this unsuccessfully for a while.

what I am attempting to do is monitor firefox and know what it is displaying. Then in the case it is not showing what it should, we reload firefox with the proper URL. I already know how to kill and start programs from gambas so that is not at issue. what is at issue is finding out what firefox is displaying at the moment.

The idea is I have a program in gambas that monitors firefox and ensures it is always showing the correct URL. What causes it to not show is generally somebody changing the page or the site is not available (internet connection usually) and then we get the retry page and that can't be sitting on screen.

requirements...

1.. no additional apps or software can be installed to accomplish this. (Due to the fact it is multiple computers)
2.. It must be reliable and always work.
3.. Must be able to not only show the URL displayed but know if the retry screen is showing for that URL

I hope somebody can help as I have been looking all over for months to find a way. so far CLI options do not cut it.
BruceSteers

Re: Inquire firefox

Post by BruceSteers »

I doubt it's possible. you'd need an API into firefox to get it's internal data like that.
It does not seem to have one , DBus has an OpenURL method but that's about it.
there's some extensions that might help but that'd be "installing something"

maybe you could monitor the connection state and auto-load a local URL if it's down?
If at first you don't succeed , try doing something differently.
BruceS
sadams54

Re: Inquire firefox

Post by sadams54 »

BruceSteers wrote: Monday 8th April 2024 7:14pm I doubt it's possible. you'd need an API into firefox to get it's internal data like that.
It does not seem to have one , DBus has an OpenURL method but that's about it.
there's some extensions that might help but that'd be "installing something"

maybe you could monitor the connection state and auto-load a local URL if it's down?

I was afraid that would be the response. It is what I am finding everywhere so far. I am open to other ideas but so far nothing that comes close to the need.